The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Getting some of my final equipment ready for my 240G. My sump will be running 2 QO4000's, and not sure if that will create enough flow that botia loaches like (will be my clown loach tank, along with other botias as well). I am probably going to put the return pumps on spraybars across the back, lower in the tank. It will also be planted. So I am thinking adding some powerheads to create some flow, or possibly a better arrangment for spraybars, etc.

The Seio's seem to come up now and then, very effecient, high flow, and they disperse the flow so its not shooting out like a small jet. I was thinking maybe a pair of 1100's?

One of my concerns is with smaller fish. I'd like to have a large school of either cardinals or rummynose. Anyone know if they could be sucked in or damaged by the outflow of such a pump? My plants would be of concern too, dont want em knocked over or anything. I am trying to stick with tougher plants, like ferns, swords, and crypts, BTW (I'll experiment with more for sure).

·
Registered
711 Posts
I see a lot of these powerheads for sale here in Toronto(used) ,I think reef folks are replacing them with Corilla pumps(or Corillia),but those who use Seio pumps have good things to say about the flow and how quiet they are.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen those come up in discussion before, the Hydor Koralia that is, but never looked into them. After doing a little searching I think we have a winner! They seem to have a good reputation so far, have a more efficient propeller, and consume very little power. All that and they are pretty much the cheapest 'propeller' like pump on the market. Actually a little cheaper than the Seio's. I havent read about little tetras in particular, but seems like everyone is saying they are very dispersed outflow and also a very large intake strainer so I am thinking the 850 or 1200 gph units shouldn’t be too much. Thanks for bringing those up.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I am bouncing this same question on couple other forums, one of which is Loaches.com A good point was made, botiine loaches like flow and often swim in the flow and have been known to 'check out' powerheads and such. With the open face of the unit it doesnt look as it would be too hard for a clown or smaller loach to swim into the unit? Does anyone have any experience with the Hydor Koralia and inquisitive fish? Would it be too hard to epoxy something like stainless steel mesh (screen door like material) over the outflow? Or should I just go for another unit?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats a pretty good deal for CDN, but shipping from Canada would probably negate it. The Koralia 4 is $47.99 US at DrsF&S (but currently out of stock). Have seen it for $1 less on another site as well.

If I do cover the outflow in stainless steel screen, does anyone think there may be a problem with small fish on the intake strainer? (cardinals, rummynose)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have two Koralia 4's on my 150g FOWLR. My porcupine puffer occasionally gets stuck to the side intake, I don't think it would be a good idea for neons and such.

Good luck

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
I have the Koralia 2 in my 75 to create current for some crypts. It came with an accessory screen to attach to the pump to keep fish out. The firebar danio's and cories in the tank don't get caught on the side and can't swim into the prop. The external magnet is fantastic for positioning the pump right where you want it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I put a couple of the Koralia's in my 150g exactly for the purpose of water movement. I put one on each end of the tank angling down and across the front of the tank. It works very well. I like this type of propeller pump as I think it creates a wider stream than a traditional power head. My rainbows love to swim in the stream.

As has been mentioned, the new ones come with a plastic guard to put over the open end. I have it on mine and have not had critter issues. They are a little on the big side, though in a large tank it doesn't stand out any more than a power head I used to have in there. They are not designed to be turned on and off constantly and don't work well in wave maker type applications. I have mine on timers that have them come on a few times a day and that seems to be ok. It may shorten their life some, but I didn't want to leave them on all the time.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.