The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about going with 4 Hydor Koralia Evolution pumps, this is going in a 180g 72x24x24. What do you guys think? Size would be the Evolution 850, are those too big or too small?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I think 2 of the 1500gph one's would be good for a planted or just fish tank, and see from there before committing to 4 units.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
What fish / plants do you plan on keeping in the tank? You may not need to go with that high of a powerhead if the plants / fish don't like lots of flow.

I know a lot of people like to use HOB filters for extra flow in lieu of powerheads.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What fish / plants do you plan on keeping in the tank? You may not need to go with that high of a powerhead if the plants / fish don't like lots of flow.

I know a lot of people like to use HOB filters for extra flow in lieu of powerheads.

Angels
Corys
Tetras

Not really sure, just want to make sure I have good flow

·
Registered
63 Posts
If its planted2 1500s will be way to much, start with one 850 and see if it can handle more.

-Seafari-

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
So much depends on the planting and layout of the tank that I see no firm answer. I have a korali nano at one end and a marineland at another point on the back wall and feel it is enough for my group but I tend to be more lightly planted than many. But on the other hand, I do have a couple very large rock piles that can block flow. I look at the debris and see where it settles to spot dead spots.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So much depends on the planting and layout of the tank that I see no firm answer. I have a korali nano at one end and a marineland at another point on the back wall and feel it is enough for my group but I tend to be more lightly planted than many. But on the other hand, I do have a couple very large rock piles that can block flow. I look at the debris and see where it settles to spot dead spots.
The tank will be planted, very heavy, it 72x24x24, using 2 overflows/sump. I just wanted to make sure I have enough flow, most because of CO2. Do you guys think I should go with a few of the 850's (4) or just 2? They are on sale, so I want to get them now and not wait. Or should I go with 2 that are more powerful. Don't want my plants on the side because too much flow.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Should I just order 2 of the 850's and see what happens or go larger?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Should I just order 2 of the 850's and see what happens or go larger?
What size pump are you running for your return pump? That would help in trying to determine how much more flow you might need.

I have a koralia 550 on my 90 gal and run a mag 9.5 for my return pump. I also have an Eheim pro II so that adds to the flow. I would start with 2 850 if it were me and go from there.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What size pump are you running for your return pump? That would help in trying to determine how much more flow you might need.

I have a koralia 550 on my 90 gal and run a mag 9.5 for my return pump. I also have an Eheim pro II so that adds to the flow. I would start with 2 850 if it were me and go from there.
I plan to go overkill on the pump I think, but really like these pumps.

Waveline models:
DC-12000 (3170 gph)
DC-10000 (2853 gph)

So you think 2 of the 850's would be best to start with, I hate to buy 4 and not need them.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I plan to go overkill on the pump I think, but really like these pumps.

Waveline models:
DC-12000 (3170 gph)
DC-10000 (2853 gph)

So you think 2 of the 850's would be best to start with, I hate to buy 4 and not need them.
Are you splitting the return pump into 2 returns? I think with either if those pumps you will be fine with 2 850's. When the tank gets really grown in and you feel like you need more flow you can always get another one but I think 2 with either if those return pumps will be more than enough.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you splitting the return pump into 2 returns? I think with either if those pumps you will be fine with 2 850's. When the tank gets really grown in and you feel like you need more flow you can always get another one but I think 2 with either if those return pumps will be more than enough.
Yes 2 returns, so once it comes out of the pump, then it will split to each side of the tank.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I started with a Maxijet 900 in a 46g tank and tried it in various configurations. I started with the propellor and found that was simply too much flow. Then I made it an external pump but I didn't really trust this configuration not to eventually leak (the O ring is pretty small for this type of application) and found the flow to be inadequate. Finally I tried it as a power head only and the flow was about right. Problem then was this big black thing hanging in the tank just didn't look good. Finally scrapped the power head and went with a 512gph external impellor pump with 3/4" tubing. Flow was good and I could hide the pump underneath the tank.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One thing you can do is get the (4) 850s and put them on a controller. It will give you the option to either run 2 at a time or all 4 at once.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts