The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of investing in a powerhead for my 60G moderately planted tank. I have a Fluval 404 canister filter that says it puts out about 340gph, but I'm getting dead spots on the bottom of my tank.

There are two spots in particular on the substrate in the middle of my tank that accumulate a lot of detritus. I'm wondering if I do buy a powerhead, what kind of flow rate should I be looking for? Ideally I was thinking like a 200-300gph powerhead placed on the mid-lower part of my tank to get some more flow nearer to the substrate.

The problem is, it seems that the more powerful powerheads are FAR cheaper. Go figure. A 240gph powerhead I found on Amazon was ~$60 while a 2-pack of 528gph ones was ~$18. For that price, I would just buy the 528gph ones. But it seems to me that even one of those 528s would be too much flow for my tank - would it not?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
For a tank your size you can go with either a Koralia Nano 240 or 425. Really depends on how much flow your looking for and your tank setup (hardscape).

I have a 240 in my 50g and it's perfect for my purposes. Both are priced well, $25 or so.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a tank your size you can go with either a Koralia Nano 240 or 425. Really depends on how much flow your looking for and your tank setup (hardscape).

I have a 240 in my 50g and it's perfect for my purposes. Both are priced well, $25 or so.
Hi, thanks for the reply! I was looking at those as well, and they look great. I live in Canada though, and on Amazon.ca the Koralia Nano 240 is $44 and the 425 is $42. Understandable with our dollar being down, but I was hoping for a bit cheaper.

I'm looking for something close to my filter's output flow-wise, so I might have to go with the 425.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Go check out SunSun JVP-110 528-GPH Wavemaker Pumps on amazon. Super cheap and work well. I've not used but a buddy of mine has the same one and raves about how good it is for that ridiculously low price.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go check out SunSun JVP-110 528-GPH Wavemaker Pumps on amazon. Super cheap and work well. I've not used but a buddy of mine has the same one and raves about how good it is for that ridiculously low price.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Yeah, those were the ones I was looking at. I can get 2 for around $18. I guess I'm just wondering if one of those would put out too much flow for a 60G planted tank? I picture all my plants being uprooted and blown all over the tank at 528 gph.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.