The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I finally decided that I needed to get a powerhead for my planted tank, first, I went through buying one that was too powerful. Then, I had trouble with my floating plants being sucked to the powerhead and getting their long trailing roots stuck in them. SO frustrating! I'm also thinking about getting shrimp and realized that if my floating plants were having trouble, shrimp probably would too. When I researched what people did (mostly finding saltwater tanks with their anemones) to fix this problem, I really wasn't happy with the solutions people tried. So I started to think outside the box.

Keep in mind, I'm using nano powerheads. I finally decided to give microphone foam covers a try. Yep, you read that right. I knew that they might not work out, but on amazon they're only $3 for 1, $8 for 5 or $12 for 10. I went for the 10 pack because if they worked, well then I wouldn't have to buy more for a min. I read that post people with their own foam creations to cover powerheads would rinse for a couple water changes, and then eventually replace; so I knew that the foam microphone covers (if they worked) would function the same.

Once you get the microphone foam covers you just cut the back till a hole opens up, then you slip if over your nano powerhead. I put mine on "backwards" so the manufactured hole is seen (since it's nicer looking then the hole I cut haha). So far they're working great. As you can see from the photos that things do get stuck to it, which one would imagine would happen, but they're not getting sucked in. I just messed with some things in my tank and set debris flying around, so that's why the photos have more stuck to them then if you had just cleaned your tank and everything was settled.

You'll know you need to rinse (or replace) the cover when your powerhead flow doesn't seem as strong (if pointing at plants, they plants won't be swaying as much as they would when the powerhead was originally placed in the tank, clean). Or if you're injecting CO2 like me, you'll notice the bubbles aren't getting pushed around as much as they were originally. You'll also know because you'll visibly be able to see the film of gunk on the cover.

I have yet to buy shrimp, but this would solve the problem of sick/weak ones getting sucked in the (at least) sides, I'm guessing. I'll have to update once/if I do get shrimp. Since I don't have a saltwater tank I can't speak for the anemones, but if the problem isn't them getting sucked into the front - then this should, in theory, solve it too. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that tries the microphone foam covers in their saltwater tanks!

I hope this helps any of the folks that were having issues like me with their powerheads ruining plants or killing tank fish/shrimp/anemones :)

Plant Automotive tire Tints and shades Auto part Carbon
Circle Gas Ball Pattern Glass

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We cannot see your photos.

You cannot link directly to a google photo like that. It works for you but not anyone else.

Its possible to do through google drive. I've posted on how to do that before.

My bad! I think I fixed it. Can you see it now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts