The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this so I chose this forum since it involves equipment. I recently constructed a diy filter I am using for water polishing. The thread for it is here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-diy/1032145-diy-internal-canister-filter.html

For those not wanting to read through the thread it is basically pvc capped at both ends with a sponge pre-filter at one end, floss, then purigen, more floss, then a powerhead. The powerhead is an aquaclear 70 rated at 400gph which I have turned all the way down. I have had it running a week and it is throwing tiny bubbles out like mad. There is no air line tubing attached and it is completely submerged. I know by now it has burped itself surely so I am not sure why there is so much air coming out.

Since i have added this filter every plant in the tank has taken off but most noticeably the crypts have really been growing. Is there enough additional co2 in these air bubbles to make a difference and to account for this growth spurt? Coincidence maybe?

The tank is a dirt capped with sand 75g. O+ in gel caps near the root feeders done 3 months ago. I double dose metricide and have been doing so for a couple of months. Light is a 48" t8 shop fixture with 2 32 watt ge 6500k tubes. I added a t8 25 watt unknown tube last night to add a little additional light to the front until I get a canopy built. I dont dose any ferts at this time.

I'm simply amazed at the growth spurt and am looking for a reason. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant tell right now if it is still bubbling or not, the lights are off. I have had decent growth for the last few months but man that whole side of the tank has turned into a jungle.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great ideas folks and I appreciate the feed back. Whatever is going on I will take it. I have to get in and do a trim soon. one of my amazon swords has produced not one but two runners so I have around 8 baby amazons to do something with and those amazon plantlets have taken off big time the last few days. I love it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.