The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on particular powerheads that I could use to improve the circulation in my aquarium? It is 42 gallons. I want to provide some flow to make the top ripple and to circulate the water in the aquarium.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
My first question would be what are you using as a filter and what is it rated at? I try to go for at least 10x circulation around the tank, so try to shoot for 420GPH. If your filter is rated for 300GPH, I would say it's actually only around 225GPH after filter media is taken into account, I would shoot for a powerhead around 200GPH.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
So since it's rated for 185GPH, it's more along the lines of 140GPH. So you will need to find a powerhead rated around the lines of 280GPH. I use a Marineland Maxi-Jet 900 (rated for 230GPH) and I love it. I can't say anything bad about other powerhead brands as I've only used Marineland. If you're going Marineland, I would go for the Maxi-Jet 1200 (rated for 290GPH) which will put you around the 420GPH mark. You can do a little research into other brands, but just find something along 280GPH

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The koralias look really good, I think I'm leaning towards those. Thanks for all the info shinycard, it is really helpful.
Anytime :)

Yes, the Koralia's do look a LOT nicer than than Marineland's, but my LFS only had Marineland's in stock at the time and I needed something. Now looking at the Koralia's, I wish I would have waited. Oh well

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you're looking for a gentle flow, go with the 240. If you want a current, then do the 425. Consider how your fish react too because not all will like it. Where do you plan on putting it in the tank?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I plan on putting it near the top to make the surface ripple or along one of the sides to kind of make a round current in my tank because it is a hexagon and the flow would bounce off of the walls in a circular pattern. I do have blue rams and angelfish so they may want a softer flow but the tank is so deep if I put it near the top they'd have plenty of refuge lower down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts