The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad recently turned off the electricity in the house while I was away at school to fix some lighting issues. He turned the power back on shortly but since my filter is a HOB, I needed to added water to restart the filter. But I wasn't home and my dad didn't tell me beforehand so the filter was probably out of water for like 4-5 hours.. I'm freaking the f out right now because I'm really worried that all my beneficial bacteria died and my shrimps are swimming around the tank like crazy and they won't stop. I did a 10-15% water change with a capful of Prime and some BorneoWild Shield. Should I be worried? What should I do in addition? Please help. ):

·
Registered
844 Posts
the only thing i should be worry is the filter and media.... the filter is of no use because the motor is pobiliby burn out (it gets hot)... try to save the BB media and if you have a filter on hand ...run it

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
are you sure the filter media actually dried out? All the HOB filters that I have had would keep most or all of the media wet if they lost power. If the media dried out the bacteria may have died but if they were still in the water you are fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The media was still moist. The filter I have is an Azoo Palm mignon 60.
There wasn't any water, but the media was still moist so I'm safe. I think. But the shrimps are still swimming around the tank like crazy. Is that okay?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
yes its fine. lower the water level so that there is more of a waterfall and aeration is maxed.
depending on the fragility of your shrimp you may lose some.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
you wont know the true damage until a few days to a week passes. Hopefully they will all be fine! but particularly watch out for losses in the next few days and remove them fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts