The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Going by watts is not a great way to measure light intensity. PAR/PPFD at substrate is preferred. But that is also a pretty small tank so its easy to keep it simple. Use a regular screw in lightbulb in the 5000-7000k range. If using LED buy one that says its 60w equivalent (usually 9 watt led). Keep it at least 12 inches from the substrate and you should be reasonably happy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
-Low light that I don't know
-Ei dose of 3x makes the lake mossy due to excess nutrients
-Should I reduce the dosage of Ei?

For low light and no CO2 your EI dosing should only by 1/5 to 1/3 the "recommended" amount. If you're dosing higher than that it is very important to do 50% water changes every single week.

I did a quick test with a 8.5W LED bulb in a "clamp on light reflector" and it is around 70PAR 12" away from the light, which is medium-high light territory. For beginner growing plants and less algae I suggest to only get 25 PAR so a bulb even dimmer than that is recommended. Did your tank originally come with a light?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.