The Planted Tank Forum banner

Power filter cartridge alternative

1543 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  tuffgong
This was discussed earlier, but I did not gather a conclusive information what can be used instead of filter cartridges to save money. I bought Auaen 20 power filter for my 29 g tank in April and did not replace cartridges since then. Now, I see it circulates the water, but does not filter well any more. Can I use some cheap sponge pad insead of relatively expensive cartridges? What kind of sponge would be th ebest: May be I can use the same sponge again and again after sim0le rinsing it?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
4,221 Posts
In case you missed what Duff wrote about rinsing. YES, rinse out the cartridge!

Take it out and rinse in a tub/pot/pail of tank water during water changes. It is part of your biological filter and you don't want to destroy all the bacteria by rinsing in tap water.

You don't need to replace it unless you are only using it to polish the water or it gets holes in it so water bypasses the filter medium. I have sponges that are 10 years old and still hanging together and getting plenty of **** in them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.