The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently setting up a new light system for my 29 gallon. My planted tank has baby tears, anubias, dwarf amazon sword, and sagittaria subulata, and I'd like to add more red in the future. I am currently using a 65W power compact and in speaking with some people, I am thinking of going to T5HO total of 48 watts. Is this an upgrade in lighting at all, from my 65W power compact? I am currently using a 6500K light and would be moving to T5HO 2 24W 6500k lamps. I don't want to waste my $ if I won't see a difference in plant growth.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
i also have a 65 watt pc but with a 10,000k/actnic bulb, not good i know but before spending my money on a different bulb. would i also be better off with T5HO

how is your light working right now?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know I'd definitely like to see a lot faster growth. When I got my sagittaria it was to the top of my tank and now it's only half that size since it doesn't get enough light to be its full growth.

When I first planted last Feb...

Last August...

and now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am speaking from a reef setup for lighting. I know that T-5's will put out almost double the useable light than PC's, when I say useable light I am going from par readings but you also need good reflectors for T-5's. What T-5 light are you looking at???

·
Registered
476 Posts
huh. so some plants receeded a little instead of growing? i have similar growth in my tank. i think it is either pc lights arent that great or the light has a hard time reaching the plants in such a high tank.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
archer: I've been looking at either the Current USA Nova Extreme that fshfanatic speaks of, or the one at this link, Sunlight Supply Sun System fixture. The guy at my LFS, a reputable place, said I would be happier with the Sunlight Supply because it comes with TEK reflectors and the ballast or something is made by a more reputable company? http://www.horticulturesource.com/s...p411/?osCsid=840dbaf72fe11498c877772920f2afff

fshfanatic: How do you have that set-up? Do you have it sitting on a glass top? Also do you use co2? Just curious.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well you would be better off with one that has good individual reflectors. The one you linked to is a retro so do you have a canopy or do you need a fixture.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
archer: I've been looking at either the Current USA Nova Extreme that fshfanatic speaks of, or the one at this link, Sunlight Supply Sun System fixture. The guy at my LFS, a reputable place, said I would be happier with the Sunlight Supply because it comes with TEK reflectors and the ballast or something is made by a more reputable company? http://www.horticulturesource.com/s...p411/?osCsid=840dbaf72fe11498c877772920f2afff

fshfanatic: How do you have that set-up? Do you have it sitting on a glass top? Also do you use co2? Just curious.
It has built in legs that slide in and out of each side. Open top and pressurized CO2

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
archer: I have a canopy but I'm looking into the dimensions of the light, so that my light isn't dipping into the water, haha.

fshfanatic: Cool... good to know in case I decide to go that route.

Could I go a little higher light with this? http://www.aloha-aquariums.com/serv...it-Aqualight-Retro/Detail?ref=TheReefTank.com

Wouldn't I have to trade the actinic light for another daylight one? Bah... too many decisions :(

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Two T5HO lights on an 18 inch height tank will give you over 100 micromols of PAR at the substrate level, more like 120 micromoles. That is very high light intensity, so you will need to be very careful to keep the CO2 level as high as you can, dose non-limiting fertilizers, and maintain the tank so the water stays very clean, or you will be threatened by algae all the time. None of the plants you mentioned requires that much light, certainly not the Sagittaria. I doubt that the lighting is the reason for the growth problem with that plant. Much more likely it was not having sufficient CO2, nitrates and phosphates.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think if you have 3 inches they will be above the water. I would go with T-5's because the bulbs last longer, the tubes are cheaper than PC's, run cooler than PC's, with quality reflectors put out much more light with fewer watts used and penetrate deeper than PC's. I like this retro
http://www.specialty-lights.com/960080.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
archer, thank you for all your input. I like that retrofit as well, comes with really nice bulbs, I think I will go with that one. Do you recommend that I get a glass lid to go under the lights? Sorry for all the questions, right now I have an Eclipse 3 system retrofit so I haven't had to deal with the whole light/hood setup before :)

Hoppy, I plan on getting a co2 setup with these lights and have been dosing with Seachem ferts including Excel, however I know Excel doesn't do as great of a job as co2, and co2 is needed with these higher intensity lights. Also I am doing 50%+ water changes once a week. hopefully I'll be able to keep the algae down.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I dont usually use glass lids because I am too lazy to clean them and they should be cleaned once a week IMO.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Two T5HO lights on an 18 inch height tank will give you over 100 micromols of PAR at the substrate level, more like 120 micromoles. That is very high light intensity, so you will need to be very careful to keep the CO2 level as high as you can, dose non-limiting fertilizers, and maintain the tank so the water stays very clean, or you will be threatened by algae all the time. None of the plants you mentioned requires that much light, certainly not the Sagittaria. I doubt that the lighting is the reason for the growth problem with that plant. Much more likely it was not having sufficient CO2, nitrates and phosphates.
hey hoppy, i have a 26 bowfront do you think i would get better lighting with a two bulb T5HO fixture rather than the pc that i currently have

dont mean to thread jack but rather than starting a new thread...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I know Im not hoppy but I can garuantee that a properly setup T-5 system will out perform your PC's. Look at how much better PC's are than NO T12's and thats how much better T-5's are than PC's. I dont have the numbers off hand but if I remember right PC's readings at 18 inches was like 70 and a properly setup T-5 system was like 115 at the same depth

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
hey hoppy, i have a 26 bowfront do you think i would get better lighting with a two bulb T5HO fixture rather than the pc that i currently have

dont mean to thread jack but rather than starting a new thread...
The question has to start with asking why you want more light. More light isn't better light unless you currently have much too low light. Generally a dollar spent on CO2 improvements will give more improvement than $2 spent on lighting improvement.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.