The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, its my first post and possibly my first tank with live plants.

Im planning on buying some amazon swords, anubius, and need a suggestion for a tall thin grassy looking plant that would do well in a pot.
keep in mind, the tank temp is going to be 83 degrees.

I also need info on what to have in the pots like gravel, sand, soil whatever the plants im planning on keeping would do best with.

I have no immediate plans on having fish in the tank, but in time am going to keep some adult discus in it, nothing else.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks alot, sean.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Crinum "Dwarf" onion plant (Zephyranthes candida Comes to mind ...

Is there a reason you want to keep your plants in pots?

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
537 Posts
Zephyranthes candida is not an underwater plant.
You may be right ... I have only had mine for about 5 months it came in a package from a distributor that had closed. But for now it seems to be thriving well in my 30 Breeder.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crinum "Dwarf" onion plant (Zephyranthes candida Comes to mind ...

Is there a reason you want to keep your plants in pots?

Best wishes,
Wes
Because it's not a good idea to keep discus in a tank with substrate, too many nasties in it.
I've seen alot of people with planted discus tanks with substrate and they were successful but they are also alot of work. Discus don't do well in a tank with uneaten food and dissolved organics.
I want to keep it as simple as possible, no chance of killing my fish.

It's much easier to keep high water quality in a BB tank.
Plus I really like the look of plants in pots maybe some manzanita in there too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I potted my plants but they sit in a bed of black gravel. I did it since i move my tank so much, it means I don't have to uproot and replant the plants every time i dismantle the tank. I used a mixture of plastic and terracotta pots spray painted black with Mineralized topsoil inside and an eco-complete cap. If you wanted to keep the clay pots their normal color, eco complete does come in a deep red, or I'm sure you could find a similar colored gravel. I also put some of the larger peat jiffy cups inside the pots, so the substrate wouldn't seep out the hole in the bottom. Be sure to post pictures when you get it set up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts