The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone confirm that it's ok to leave HC semi-potted? I remember reading somewhere that leaving some of the rockwool intact would be ok. I also remember Oliver Knott plants his whole, not in strands. Can anyone comment from personal experience how it worked out?

I have grown HC like 5 times now, and each time it floats before getting established. I have never gotten potted HC and I just bought some.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's how I've done it in the past, but my substrate is pretty light. The HC always floats to the top, and then I get a bunch of floating HC instead.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I broke mine up into small small bunches and individual stems. I grew it emmersed for 21 days and then submerged it and it's growing great! none of it floated up to the top using the emmersed method of growing. But I have seen people plant it with small amounts of rock wool, I agree its frustrating to plant it stem by stem but i was afraid the rock wool would come loose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i tried both methods in a tank with Flourite (which is very light) and i now i wish i took the time to break them apart before planting.

smaller clumps containing 4-5 stems form runner a lot faster and they stay real close to the bottom. the bigger clumps (1/4 the size of the whole pot) grow very slowly but bushy and after 3-4 months they look like little mounds on the green carpet. they kinda make the landscape look a bit more interesting but it can be unattractive to some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.