The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit surprised that I see no mention of putting any plants in pots. I'd think this would be a way of providing some plants like, say, small swords or Crypts, with a fertile substrate without having to pave the whole tank with a very expensive material like Flourite or Eco-Complete. Am I missing something? Is there a big disadvantage in using pots? Of course I am talking about solid pots, not net pots.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
No they work fine and I know allot of dedicated BAP breeders that do it that way in the local KC, MO area but for me and probably most people here it's more about the look and feel of an ugly pot (even in my breeder tanks) verses a nice full substrate.

All of my tanks have a substrate but there mostly SMS, Turface, and PFS so they costs a fraction of what Eco or Fluorite would since I can buy all of that locally.

- Brad

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Some people use pots (Demonbreedr16 for example), but most like the natural look. Its a great idea though.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I like to put plants in pots in my livebearer tanks. It is very convenient and I don't think that the natural terra cotta pots look bad at all.

Pots are also handy for setting up individual plants with minerlaized topsoil, for excellent growth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.