The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I just wanted to share a little about the success I have had in setting up a nitrate filter in my African cichlid tank using Pothos plants in a HOB filter. At first I was thinking this was going to be a failure because the plants would not grow any roots for almost 3 weeks. But in the past week I have had a explosion of root growth and have noticed my nitrate levels getting smaller between water changes.

Here are some photos and tell me what you think. Also here is a video of the setup http://youtu.be/q7Ao53UG9gE

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Land Plant Nitrate Filtration

Hello fol...

Your Pothos will do a much better job of filtering the water if you remove it from the filter and simply emersed it in the tank. The root balls need room to grow and good growth, results in better filtration.

Actually, Chinese Evergreen does a much better job of removing nitrogen from the tank water than Pothos. No added lighting is necessary. The plant requires only a little ambient light.

Just a thought.

B

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello fol...

Your Pothos will do a much better job of filtering the water if you remove it from the filter and simply emersed it in the tank. The root balls need room to grow and good growth, results in better filtration.

Actually, Chinese Evergreen does a much better job of removing nitrogen from the tank water than Pothos. No added lighting is necessary. The plant requires only a little ambient light.

Just a thought.

B

I would put it strait into the tank but the Mbuna Cichids would eat the roots off the plant. That is why I am using them in a HOB filter.

After reading your post I looked up the Chinese evergreen. I really would like to try now. Thanks for the suggestion. :icon_smil

·
Registered
373 Posts
Seen this every now and again... Does it really work?

I am interested in doing this for my 125 gal aquarium filters. I have a c 530 also, but I would like to try this on my 55/75 aqueon hob and emperor 400 hob. How would I go about this?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Seen this every now and again... Does it really work?

I am interested in doing this for my 125 gal aquarium filters. I have a c 530 also, but I would like to try this on my 55/75 aqueon hob and emperor 400 hob. How would I go about this?
It really helps bring down the nitrates.

Just cut a stem of pothos with some aerial roots and keep the roots submerged. It should grow aquatic roots in a few weeks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That easy eh? Why dome other people's setup seem a bit more in depth?

·
Registered
249 Posts
That easy eh? Why dome other people's setup seem a bit more in depth?
I do the same exact thing as explained. I clip off pieces from a mother plant and just put them in water by a window (prob not needed) and wait for roots then put them in my hob and now the cuttings are larger than the mother plant (the areas that weren't cut on the mother)

·
Registered
298 Posts
A word of caution:

Pothos is the most common plant used in offices and lobbies of buildings. The companies that maintain the live plants in these places use very heavy pesticides if they have to.

It is very common to either steal a piece of Pothos or ask the plant service guy to give you some clippings. If the plant has been treated with chemicals and they get in your aquarium water say good bye to all your shrimp. Give them 10 minutes tops - they will all die. Fish are ok but shrimp can't handle the stuff.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hmmm, I think I may have a very large one in my living room. My fiance's parents gave it to us. I will take a pic when I get home and post it on here.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Heres the plant in my living room (what kind is it?), not too worried about pesticides, since its been in the household for years and has grown quite large.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I think that is one of the Chinese Evergreen sorts of plants. Definitely related, and worth trying in the aquarium. Here is what I would do:
Divide the plant. Repot it into a larger pot or into a couple of pots.
Take one or more of the smaller pieces and place that in the tank or filter. It does not matter which, both tank and filter are the same system.

I have a hard time with upright plants, they do not stay upright.
I find Pothos (Epipremnum) or Syngonium or Heartleaf Philodendron are better for aquariums because the hang over the side.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think that is one of the Chinese Evergreen sorts of plants. Definitely related, and worth trying in the aquarium. Here is what I would do:
Divide the plant. Repot it into a larger pot or into a couple of pots.
Take one or more of the smaller pieces and place that in the tank or filter. It does not matter which, both tank and filter are the same system.

I have a hard time with upright plants, they do not stay upright.
I find Pothos (Epipremnum) or Syngonium or Heartleaf Philodendron are better for aquariums because the hang over the side.
When you say in the aqaurium, do you mean that literally? and submersed? And what do I pot it in. I have no dirt in my tank.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
As the pictures above show:
Leaves and stem in the air, roots in the tank.
No need for soil.
Make sure there is reasonable light up there where the leaves are. Chinese Evergreen, and most of the plants we are talking about are low light plants, when grown as house plants. If you want high nitrogen removal, though, you will have to provide more light. I got the best growth out of Pothos when it was in a west facing window. I used a curtain to keep the direct sun off, but it was a pretty bright location.
If you want to do a plant in an HOB you could fill the HOB with lava rock. This is very good to hold the upright plants, and will grow lots of bacteria for the aquarium.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Using land Plants in FW Tanks

Hmmm, I think I may have a very large one in my living room. My fiance's parents gave it to us. I will take a pic when I get home and post it on here.
Hello Cin...

Chinese Evergreen "Aglaonema" works best emersed in the tank. It will definitely keep the water just about nitrogen free if that's what you want. Attached is a pic of a 45 G with some "Ag" plants called Cutlass. There's another in the pic called Gemini.

B

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hello Cin...

Chinese Evergreen "Aglaonema" works best emersed in the tank. It will definitely keep the water just about nitrogen free if that's what you want. Attached is a pic of a 45 G with some "Ag" plants called Cutlass. There's another in the pic called Gemini.

B
So is this what I have then?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hello Cin...

B

That is neat, imagine the fish must love the roots.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Plant in the Vase

So is this what I have then?
Hello again Cin...

Your plant in the vase isn't a variety of Chinese Evergreen to the best of my knowledge. It looks like a variety of Peace lily. These will work emersed in the tank, but not nearly as well as Aglaonema. I've tried just about all of the land plants sold in the local stores that can grow emersed and "Ags" work the best.

B

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.