The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I’m new to the forum and was hoping to get a bit of advice on a current issue I’m facing.

I have had a 57l fluval flex for a number of years now, it’s always been moderately planted and over the years I’ve managed to tweak things to really get things balanced and have a nice planted tank.
I’ve never ran a high tech setup. Lighting wise I’ve always used the stock light, I dosed the aquascaper complete fertiliser twice a week and did 25% water changes once a week, and it worked pretty well. Plant wise I’ve got rotala rotundifolia, java fern, anubias nana, a crypt (not sure on species), Bucephlandra, hygrophilla siamensis 5B and some Amazon Frogbit. Stock wise I’ve got a Bolivian Ram, 6 Rummy Nose Tetras, a few Ottos and Malaysian Trumpet Snails.
Now here’s the problem, recently the stock light that’s attached to the hood of the flex packed in. With that I thought I’d do away with the hood and go for a fancier planted aquarium light, I chose the Dennerle Trocal light after reading some reviews. It’s been on the tank for a couple of weeks now and I’m starting to notice a few what I think are deficiencies in the hygrophillia. Leaves are turning pale with darker veins which I’d expect would be a deficiency in Mg, so far the other plants seem ok. As I’m dosing the same and don’t run C02 I’m thinking that the light may be too bright for the size and low tech sorta system I’m running, causing the plants to take up more nutrients than normal.
While I think this may be the case I’m not an expert and that’s why I want your guys’ opinions. As I can’t dim this light if it is I need to dial my light down what lights to you recommend for a low tech 57l flex. Also if I’m completely wrong about the lighting what do you guys suggest? Sorry about the long post just wanted to be detailed I appreciate the help :)

This is the hygrophilla that I suspect has an Mg deficiency

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Some others will comment on the fert levels and deficiency, can you just raise the lights up higher? adding 2 inches or so to the height will lower the PAR at the substrate.

My $.02 on the deficiency, it could be a bunch of stuff. It could be low Mg, high Ca, low Fe, etc etc etc. Check out my thread on the same subject if you want to go down a rabbit hole...

Please help identifying deficiency | The Planted Tank Forum

·
Registered
637 Posts
Could be iron, magnesium, zinc, or nitrogen deficiencies. The Aquascaper Plant Food doesn't have a guaranteed analysis as far as I can tell so there's no way to know exactly which of those it is. If your lights were too bright you would be more likely to see algae than a plant deficiency.

If I think there is a nutrient deficiency in one plant but not others, I just stick some Osmocote Plus under the plant and it usually resolves. By fertilizing the soil I don't have to deduce exactly what the problem is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.