The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there plenty of threads about using KMnO4 here but I wanted to start this thread becaue I can't seem to find a hard and fast description of the solutions that should be made. All I find is vague descriptions - the water should be dark pink, mild solution, etc. I can't find actual measurements of weight, volume and time! I've recently soaked plants in a solution of 1/4 teaspoon KMnO4 in 1 gallon of tap water for an hour and had good results, though the time may be a bit long. I tested a small bit of Japanese riccia yesterday and it completely fried. Literally. Turned out brown and crispy. I still have the solution so I'll try another test but for only 30min. A couple Hygro and Echinodorus species in the same solution for the same time turned out just fine. The goal here is snail egg elimination. I don't want to hear about how great you think snails are. That's wonderful but I don't want them. Period.

So what mixtures and times are you using for a -sure-fire- way to get rid of snail eggs? Do you think an hour in the solution I listed above is too long? Is there anything I should adjust to make a riccia-safe KMnO4 dip?

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
ill have to keep my eyes open for it.

FWIW.. excel used as a spot treatment effects plants differently, i bet snail killer works similarly.

as an example, ive found that i can let excel sit on leaves of anubias for almost 300 seconds without a problem. however, if i let excel sit on the leaves of Microcarpeae minima even for a moment, the leaves get burned.

i bet its possible to make a solution of snail killer that is strong enough to kill snails (and some plants, but not others.) conversely, i bet you could make a snail killer weak enough to sit on any plants leaves, but not strong enough to kill snails effectively.

so... possibly you are in for some serious experimentation.

just a thought.

good luck, and please let me know what you find.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dipped a small test patch of riccia in the same solution for 30. The color still changed drastically but it looked far better compared to the stuff that soaked for an hour.

When I get out of work I'll stop by a couple stores and look for some alum. It sounds like at 3-4tsp per gallon it will still be very effective against snail eggs and much more gentle on the riccia.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New test....

I was hoping to keep track of the ratio of KMnO4 to water, but it's hard to do. At first, I used probably 1/16th to 1/8th of a teapoon and a gallon of water but that was too dark, so I dumped out about 2/3 of the water and refilled to a gallon. Here's a picture of what I was working with -

I probably shouldn't have tipped the bucket because you get a gradient effect on the color so it's hard to tell exactly what I was working with, but the light was off to the side and using the camera's flash really threw off the color. The black specs in the center of the bucket are dead snails.

This picture is from the test I did yesterday with the 1/4tsp strength for 30 minutes...

Not a pretty picture. The test patch that was in the same solution for an hour was even worse. Thirty minutes of contact time appears to be enough to kill the snails but the strength had to be cut drastically.

This picture is from the test I did today with the unknown strength pictured above.

This batch fared much better after a 30 minute dip and you can see there are three different types of snails on the bottom of the container. There is some browning, but that may have been present before the dip, ie. the underside of the floating mass that didn't get strong light. So I know this concentration takes care of the snails, but what about the eggs? There aren't any visible egg sacks so I'm probably OK but I'll keep it in this container for a couple of days for observation. I've read MTS have a "trap door" of sorts they can shut to protect themselves from toxic environments and they can be up and moving around within a few days.

BTW, if one of the mods wants to move this out of the plants subforum and into general or something else, that's fine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
RE: PP usage

Hi, Left you a private message re PP and strength. I would seriously shake the plants out well in plain water first to dislodge snails then do the dip. Will look up the link to using PP and send it to you. Comet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.