The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some Flame Sword plants at Wallyworld - huge, with a thick growth of submerse leaves, for $5.74. But I want to disinfect them before putting them in my tank, and bought some permanganate to do so. Looking at past posts, I see this indeed is used as a disinfectant dip, but I saw nothing about what strength to use and how long to leave the plants in. Can anyone help with this?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
potassium permanganate kills adult snails, eggs, all sorts of parasites, pathogens such as ICH, mold, fungus, algae, insect larvae, just about anything.

Potassium permanganate is a chemical and a very strong oxidizer, and classified as a hazardous material. It comes in different grades as a crystalized powder. If you are lucky enough to buy the raw chemical, (to buy it legally you have to pay for hazardous shipping and have a license for it) you just add enough to a bucket of water to turn it dark purple.

If you do not want to mess with all that, you can buy it pre measured and mixed for the aquarium here

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.