The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if you dose the same amount of Potassium Sulfate as you would for Potassium Nitrate.

I have plenty of Nitrate 15-20ppm and so I am using Potassium Sulfate instead. I just want to make sure I should dose the same amount?

My understanding is in a 75 gallon you should dose Kno3 3/4 tsp 3x a week. Would that convert to the same amount in Potassium Sulfate?

Thanks,

Joy

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Hi freude88,

If I understand correctly you want to insure adequate potassium (K) in a tank that naturally has high nitrates?

There is actually more potassium in in potassium sulfate (K2SO4) than in potassium nitrate (KNO3). In your situation if you were to dose 1/2 tsp of K2SO4 3X per week it would give you about the same amount of potassium as 3/4 tsp KNO3 3X per week.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
In my 75g low tech I only does 1/2 a tsp of k2so4 one a week or once every other week. I mix it up a bit.

I don't run co2 or excel though.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
K2SO4 is very similar, but the slightly lower dose is just fine. I make it simple, and just swap it out 1:1 in recipes where I do not want so much nitrogen.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Old but exactly what i was lookinig for. K2SO4 in replacement of KNo3 in a naturally nigh nitrate tank. Thanks!
Good find, I've actually been looking into this as well. I've got enough nitrates that I don't need to dose full strength and was looking into k2so4 but was told that GH booster had enough K and I didn't necessarily need k2so4.

Edited due to mass typos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts