The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that K is a hard water element. I recently added some crushed coral to my filter. CC increases total hardness, but does it also add K? Should I reduce my K dosing to account for K leaching from CC?

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
Do you think CC would add enough Mg for healthy plant growth in most cases?
No, adding calcium carbonate will not provide any magnesium for your plants. If you are following a dosing regimen such as EI, the "GH booster" usually consists of magnesium, calcium and potassium sulfates.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, adding calcium carbonate will not provide any magnesium for your plants. If you are following a dosing regimen such as EI, the "GH booster" usually consists of magnesium, calcium and potassium sulfates.
One more question: Given "GH Booster" usually contains potassium sulfates, is this because both potassium and sulfates are indeed hardwater chemicals also?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Not really.
The GH (General Hardness) tests Calcium and Magnesium. KH (Carbonate Hardness) tests carbonates and bicarbonates.

In various sorts of limestone, calcite, dolomite and related minerals there are different amounts of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate.
When water passed through these minerals (especially slightly acidic rain water which has picked up some CO2) these minerals dissolve in the water.

This is what makes tap water (or the water in the Rift Lakes and other places) hard.

Occasionally other minerals may be found in such water, including potassium. But potassium is not part of the GH test.

I am not sure why they add potassium sulfate to GH boosters. If you do not want to add potassium sulfate you can get the other ingredients (calcium sulfate and magnesium sulfate are the most common) or substitutes such as calcium chloride and raise the GH of the water with the right ratio of whatever you select.
Some tap water does not have both Ca and Mg, or they are both there, but in the wrong ratio. You can supplement whichever is needed.
Plants use Ca and Mg in a ratio of about 4:1. The water does not have to have this exact ratio, but something close is good.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
One more question: Given "GH Booster" usually contains potassium sulfates, is this because both potassium and sulfates are indeed hardwater chemicals also?
As Diana mentioned, neither potassium nor the sulfate anion contribute to hardness; I believe the only reason it was included in the GH booster was to serve as a source of supplemental potassium for plants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.