The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOW

What happens in fondue... stays in fondue
My Potamogeton alpinus is suffering badly and it all came on very fast. As for dosing, I dunno what I add but I put in a couple squirts of N,P,K and a bit of iron every week. I also add a dropper full "liquid plant food" thing that has 10-15-10, 2% iron, and a bit of zinc and magnesium in it too.

There is a single 40 watt light, T12, 48 inches across, on a 10 gallon tank. I dunno what light level that'd be... it is "gro lux"

All the other plants except for callitriche verna and najas sp. are doing excellent... they have a bit of hair algae on their leaves... I have 17 species.

I have no CO2, but the alpine pondweed did great earlier: see exhibit A.
(Before)

I have some theories:

1. There are too many plants and CO2 is insufficient for this pondweed
2. A trace element is depleted
3. There are too many "salts" in the water (P. alpinus is from blackwater streams around here)
4. Something changed and it has to re-adapt (some pondweeds die back from being moved or drastic changes like crypt)
5. Lack of CO2 caused it to 'suffocate' due to calcium deposits on the leaves, from using CaCO3 instead of CO2.

I have 4 types of pondweed and this is the only one that is obviously suffering.:eek5: If I do a water change, theory 2 and 3 would be possibly accounted for. If it dies, I cannot get any more until next summer. I have only a single stem! I ordered a glass diffuser a week ago and it is on it's way.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Way to go, the poor plant lost all it's leaves.

:(

I did a water change and added some ferts of various types (the ones listed) I was not able to save it. Wether or not the bare stem can sprout leaves, now that is something that piqued my curiosity.

If it can't, I cannot get any more until spring. :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts