The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just curious if anyone was growing this plant in the aquariums. Is it hard to keep alive. I think it's a weed in the local lakes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rainbuilder, what is the growing habit of yours? I cleaned off a little and put it in a twenty with decent lighting no co2 for the heck of it to see what happened. Wondering if it's gonna be all leggy or if it will thicken up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ummm, the kind that was in the lake?....

Sorry, I have no idea the species. I suppose i will just wait and see what it does.

·
Registered
804 Posts
rainbuilder, what is the growing habit of yours? I cleaned off a little and put it in a twenty with decent lighting no co2 for the heck of it to see what happened. Wondering if it's gonna be all leggy or if it will thicken up.
Mine is a floating species, potomageton natans. You may have a different kind if it grows only submersed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i do have it growing in one of my tanks. VERY invasive! likes to send long runners around the tank. best for a low light tank me thinks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Groovy, I need to rethink the tank this winter and do an overhaul anyway. My Anubias has basically taken over so i don't have much room for anything else. However I've also got a bunch of plants i just put in to see if they would do anything and they are actually growing well. If this thing does weed out that is fine cause I can always remove it anyway. Thinking about moving to a soil substrate of some kind. Thanks everyone. Funny how I thought 20 gallon tall was a large tank when i got it years ago. Realestate gets burned up quick with plants.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
i do have it growing in one of my tanks. VERY invasive! likes to send long runners around the tank. best for a low light tank me thinks
Only one species in not native to Ca and the USA: P. crispus. They are wide spread and nearly 80 "species" and hybrids.

I've grown perhaps 12-15 species. I lost count.

P ampifolus is one of the largest species, quite attractive, P. perfolius is somewhat common in the hobby, rhichardsonii is really pretty, and the Asian P gayi is used by many in the hobby.

They do not call them pondweeds for nothing.

Generally a cooler water habit. But most do well in tropical plant tanks, particularly if CO2 is used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts