Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I usually check out Ebikens blog http://ebi-ken.blogspot.ca/

--

Cool that she posted your question and answer online and shows the adaptability of the shrimp as well. The first generation or two, shrimp may not do as well in different water, but they can adapt. I think mineral content and the water being harder or softer, for shrimp like CRS, say, is more important that the overall pH.

I've talked with Polish breeders who don't have access to RO and have like 8-8.5pH but soft mineral wise and are keeping tanks full of TB's in them. I know TB's in 8.5pH sounds crazy but if the temp is cool, which they like, the gH is very low, they seem to do fine.

Part of my experiment right now to get a way from active substrate and multiple canister filters and all that stuff and see how well mine do in just RO water with some minerals.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. Added that blog to my reading tab.

I hope your project works out for you...it would be nice to keep shrimp without the active substrates that lose their ability to buffer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.