The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a lot of googling finding out what the best correct water parameters for a CRS shrimp tank is becoming very confusing :s
I have been reading through many websites and it seems that people have very mixed views to what is correct/not correct resulting in good & bad results from very different parameters :confused:

I thought it would be interesting to see other people's CRS Water Parameters on The planted Tank and then make a decision from there.
I know that a lot of you guys are very experienced and would much prefer to see the outcome here over google.

So please post your CRS Water Parameters below, thanks guys ;)

Temperature:
Water Type:
Water change technique:
PH:
GH:
KH:
TDS:
CO2:
Ferts:
Plants:
Substrate:
CRS Shrimp Grade:

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Thank you!

after killing 40 of these cute critters and having my tank right where the parameters were 'suppose' to be I'm following your thread.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm still a noob at this, but in my small 2 gallon tank I've had my CRS and Tiger's berry and deliver several times.

Temperature - 70-74F. (No heater/chiller. I'm at the mercy of the office AC.)
I'm using RO/DI water, and adding 1/2 teaspoon of Kent's RO-Right per 5 gallons of water. TDS before it goes into the tank is around 140.
Substrate is ADA, which should be buffering the water to around 6.5ph.

I also run CO2, which I know is not helpful and may be detrimental.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
what is your your GH and KH RandomMan, also forgive my noobness but what is TDS?
edit nvm I found out now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_dissolved_solids ;)

also maybe we should have a default layout for posting parametres maybe something similar to this;

Temperature:
Water Type:
Water change technique:
PH:
GH:
KH:
CO2:
Ferts:
Plants:
Substrate:

and so on ;)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Temperature: 68-74
Water Type: RO
Water change technique: Maybe 10% once a week during gravel vac if the substrate needs it, mainly just topoffs.
PH: 6-7
GH: 0-4
KH: 0-1
CO2: NO
Ferts: NO but doesn't hurt.
Plants: Moss, some s. porto vehlo/repens, limno's, whatever really, stick to low light and enjoy your shrimp!
Substrate: Tahitian moon sand(inert/no buffer) currently but it doesn't really matter.
Keeping: CRS/CBS S-SSS, Golden bee's, TT's, BKK's

--
Biochemzorb makes a difference! your parameters could be spot on but you could have who knows what else in the water that we can't test for. BCZ will clear it up.

Big things you need are good filtration, lots of dissolved oxygen, and lots of beneficial bacteria in an established tank. If you start a new tank and put em in, the parameters may be right, and there may not be any ammo/nitrite spikes, but new tank = very little if any BB = no food and bb for the shrimp, they dont just need it to eat..

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Temperature: 68-74
Water Type: RO
Water change technique: Maybe 10% once a week during gravel vac if the substrate needs it, mainly just topoffs.
PH: 6-7
GH: 0-4
KH: 0-1
CO2: NO
Ferts: NO but doesn't hurt.
Plants: Moss, some s. porto vehlo/repens, limno's, whatever really, stick to low light and enjoy your shrimp!
Substrate: Tahitian moon sand(inert/no buffer) currently but it doesn't really matter.

--
Biochemzorb makes a difference! your parameters could be spot on but you could have who knows what else in the water that we can't test for. BCZ will clear it up.

Big things you need are good filtration, lots of dissolved oxygen, and lots of beneficial bacteria in an established tank. If you start a new tank and put em in, the parameters may be right, and there may not be any ammo/nitrite spikes, but new tank = very little if any BB = no food and bb for the shrimp, they dont just need it to eat..
Also, one of the most important things I've read is that CRS like aged water in your tank, a tank thats been setup for months and just been topped off, not WC'd 3x a week or anything. Another forum, a member just got back from Japan or Korea and none of them change water at all, just top off mostly.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
pH 6.2
GH 4
KH 0
TDS 180
Temp 72

20g filtered with an eheim 2211, zoomed 501, and 2 large sponge filters driven by air.
Susbtrate fluval stratum, 3 inch depth. 10% monthly water change with aged water.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jorge_Burrito said:
I would also have people add the grade they are keeping, lower grades are supposedly more tolerant of non ideal water conditions.
Good idea, main post edited thankyou ;)

jkan0228 said:
Haha I haven't killed any critters yet but I'm also following this.
Whats your Parameters? you must be doing something right ;)

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Temperature: 70-72F
Water Type: Distilled mixed with tap water
Water change technique: just top off mostly, change a little bit here and there
PH: 6.0-6.2
GH: have to check
KH: have to check
CO2: nope, but I do a 1/4 dose of excel now and again
Ferts: squirt of flourish now and again
Plants: java moss, xmas moss, floating frogbite and some other stuff that I have no idea what it is
Substrate: Netlea soil
CRS Shrimp Grade: C-SS, black and reds

This tank was setup a few months ago when I bought the CBS and added my CRS that were kept in a 7.6pH tank and weren't breeding at all. Within a month I had berried shrimp and have about 8-9 babies I can see, and 3 more berried ones still I believe and possibly one that just gave birth, not sure but I've seen 1 or 2 clear babies today, so I assume they have to be just born and don't have their colors yet because normally after a few days even you can see the red and a little bit after that the white fills in and within a week or two you can tell the grade and pattern of the baby.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
....only if you're really lucky and have perfect shrimp water out of the tap...I'm in the process of laying a one inch pipe from Mordalphus' house to mine....wonder if Home Depot will give me discount on 20 miles of PVC?...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
see this is where things get confusing, the main sticky on this very forum (Crystal Red Shrimp Information (Care and Breeding)) says

'3. Moderate water hardness seems to work the best for robust breeding and coloration.'

moderate to me would suggest harder water no? some threads I seen on other forums say that CRS need harder water to moult too, this is why i stick with this forum people seem to know what they are talking about here ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.