The Planted Tank Forum banner

Post pics of your DIY stands

312132 608
I´m preparing to build a stand for a 150g tank. I´ve got the "skeleton" planned and will build that with 2x4's and 2x6's.

I´ve been going back and forth about skinning the stand, should I use plywood, mdf, what kind of doors and how should I hinge them.

I´d very much like to see the stands that DIYers here have made, shots of doors and hinge would also be apreciated. If alot of people post pics of their stands, this might prove very useful for others that are in the same situation that I´m in.

Edit: Here is another stand-building adventure with lots of good tips and ideas. WP
101 - 120 of 609 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's the stand i built for my 180 that's in the works. It is constructed of all 2 layer 3/4" ply sandwiched and rabbeted construction. I conditioned with Minwax waterbased conditioner. I stained using their pickled oak and followed it up with their acrylic sealer. I still do not know in what style I want to do the doors.

I am also looking for hinges that allow quick door removal. Does anyone recommend any?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's the stand i built for my 180 that's in the works. It is constructed of all 2 layer 3/4" ply sandwiched and rabbeted construction. I conditioned with Minwax waterbased conditioner. I stained using their pickled oak and followed it up with their acrylic sealer. I still do not know in what style I want to do the doors.

I am also looking for hinges that allow quick door removal. Does anyone recommend any?
Smaller set of standard door hinges like in your house will do it. You just have to tap out the pin.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Euro-style cabinet 35mm cup hinges permit the doors to be very easily taken on and off, and additionally, allow infinite adjustment.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=55420&cat=3,41241

BTW, to be entirely honest, installing the hinges would be lots easier if you had planned things all out before you began assembly. You've made things harder on yourself than they needed to be. :(

·
Registered
21,007 Posts
My "mini-me" 10 gallon

That is a very nice looking way to display a 10 gallon tank. Could you post pictures of how you built it? I assume the filter, etc. are in the end area?

Oops, you beat me to it. But, now I can see a lot better how it is made. Unique, and beautiful way to do this. Is that a 36 watt AH Supply light kit?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Smaller set of standard door hinges like in your house will do it. You just have to tap out the pin.
Thanks for the sugestion Tom. I should have said I was going for concealed hinges. By the way, how's the 180.

Euro-style cabinet 35mm cup hinges permit the doors to be very easily taken on and off, and additionally, allow infinite adjustment.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=55420&cat=3,41241

BTW, to be entirely honest, installing the hinges would be lots easier if you had planned things all out before you began assembly. You've made things harder on yourself than they needed to be. :(
I was just looking at the Blum website just before reading this. I think I'm going to go that route.

As to planning, I changed the setup I was going with (magnetic catch plates only for fast removal) to a regular hinged setup when I scored a nice cartridge cluster filter and decided to move the equipment outside.

Thanks for the input.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·

This is legen ........ wait for it........ dary!!
Kudos on this whole setup, it's awesome.

tusk, I´m also liking that 10 gallon you have, very neat setup.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here is mine. Its taken awhile to get it all together, but its almost done. Im pretty happy except for the blotching of the stain. I guess its hard to get a dark stain on pine without blotching, I used a pre conditioner, but it worked just a little at best. When it dries, it might even out a little more.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Here is mine. Its taken awhile to get it all together, but its almost done. Im pretty happy except for the blotching of the stain. I guess its hard to get a dark stain on pine without blotching, I used a pre conditioner, but it worked just a little at best. When it dries, it might even out a little more.
Wow, another great stand we are seeing here! Nice job. Craftsman is my favourite style of furniture.

·
Registered
683 Posts
You are kidding me...

Didn't you just post this thread a couple of weeks ago???

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/89572-i-need-some-good-sites-stand.html

I am very impressed how quickly you put this thing together... Very nice job!!! It would have taken me longer to plan, than it took you to execute ;)

I am usually not a big fan of the exposed hinges, but in your thank it work well. I like them...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yep that was me...Well, it does seem like its taken a very long time. The hardest part is finding that you don't have somethig and then another hour wasted while getting it at the hardware store. I'd starve if this is what I did full time.

But it was great fun and gave me something to look forward to working on when getting home from work.

I like the craftsman style too, and I hope someday that I can get that style house and furniture to match- PURCHASED furniture.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
that is a great stand cfi on the fly, a very rustic look. I agree with Regloh that I´m not usually a fan of the exposed hinges, but it really works with your stand.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Yep that was me...Well, it does seem like its taken a very long time. The hardest part is finding that you don't have somethig and then another hour wasted while getting it at the hardware store. I'd starve if this is what I did full time.
LOL Just like I felt when I was building mine. At least 10 trips to HD before I finished it:)

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Let me guess. The steel frame had to be lopsided because of the AC intake baffle ;)
You're funny. I actually built that stand so long ago I lived in a different house and have moved it all over the country with me for school and work. My friends love me when I move!

The idea for what I would call "asymmetrical" stand was to give the whole tank a lighter appearance. You can't go out and buy metal stands for 75s so I was going to build and weld it myself. The strength of the steel vs. wood allowed me to break up the space roughly into thirds.

Thanks for the comments.

101 - 120 of 609 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.