The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I returned from a two week holiday today to find my Rio 125 fairly well covered in black hair algae (I hate this stuff). I have immediately completed a water change, as I was planning to do anyway and also replaced both my Juwel Day and Nature High Lite 28W tubes as they were approaching the 12 month age. I have also removed as much as possible from the ornaments and the plants through trimming of Crypts although I haven't yet cut my Anubias right down (this plant is the most covered) as there won't be much left! The hair still remains on my wood with attached anubias, on a few other plants and on the filter casing.

Is there anything else I can do to remove this horrid stuff? Should I try higher CO2 dosing, a total blackout (although I have heard of these not working) - I am open to suggestions.

Secondly before I went away I had a small issue with algae which I tried to deal with by carrying out my usual tank cleaning. However, I am still unsure if I am doing the right things at the right times so advice would be much appreciated.

As mentioned I have a Rio 125. I have brand new lighting at 2x28W (a previous possible area for concern as they were 12 months + old). I complete weekly water changes in the region of 30-40%. I use root tabs for many of my plants along with Flourish for Carbon and Ferts which I dose in what I think is roughly the right amounts but I am not 100% on this.

Is there anything people can suggest to improve my routine or provide me with advice on how to ensure my plants are getting the right light:ferts:carbon ratio.

You guys have been invaluable in the past and I look forward to hearing your ideas here. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Last year I came home from a trip to staghorn algae on some older Anubias roots. I pulled most of it off and squirted Excel on all I could see. I just targeted the algae and only used the recommended loading dose, no more. It was pink and dying within a couple days and the otos ate up the decaying stuff. Excel works and hydrogen peroxide works as well. Do a search for the exact amount to use, don't want to over do either of these.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have started Excel dosing more than I would usually to increase CO2 and also have the tank in very restricted light now. No tank lights and a thin cloth covering the front. I will also continue water changes on a more regular basis for a little while. If it persists I may have to chop the anubias (and others) right back. I have heard that some shrimp like this hair/beard algae, is this true? Am I doing the right things?

Any other ideas or advice wuld be much appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comment.

I don't think it was the carbon. What I failed to mention was that the ferts and carbon were dosed while I was away by someone who looked after the house (not a fish keeper) but didn't notice the algae.

I am still at a loss as to what caused the algae. Old lights? Lack of fresh water? Fert or carbon balance? The tank has been in the dark for three days and the algae remains although isn't spreading - I am going to cut a bit more off today, water change again and then use my new lights for the first time as I am not comfortable leaving the tank in total darkness for any longer. Anything else I can do?

A question I always want to ask is: Is my tank overstocked? Can someone offer a comment on this for me as it might help me make better use of my cleaning routine and regularity.

Rio 125
5 Red Eye Tetra
2 Harlequin Raspora
4 Neon Tetra
1 Platy
1 SAE (fake one!!)
4 Cory
1 Bulldog Plec
2 Otto
**Shrimp to act as cleaners - not yet bought**

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well, I'm not sure. Everything I've read states that black brush algae is caused by fluctuating co2 levels. Try this. Do a water change and while the water is down.... get a syringe and squirt excel directly on the bba (black brush algae). Or you can even use hydrogen peroxide. Plus it's cheaper than using all of your excel to kill the bba. Read this.

As for stocking. I think your ok. I don't think your overstocked.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Brad. Will try this tomorrow.

Might also buy some fast growing plants to use up nutrients as all of mine are fairly slow. Will also question my LFS as to whether I should get a few shrimp into the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts