The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Context: 50 gallon, CO2 injected tank Ph (7.0 to 6.5 range), Aquarium Co-Op Easy Green, Seachem Tabs.... I've no idea how to usefully report how much light my tank is getting. But if a responder asks I'll try....

My question: I have what appears to be black stains on the leaves left by the BBA. Other than pruning, is there a way to get rid of the stains? The picture shows Java Fern with the black stains affixed to some natural driftwood ...and some camera-shy Colombian Tetras swimming away

Backstory:
Almost a year ago, using the Citric Acid/Baking Soda/Ebay valve-set, I had a very bad outbreak of BBA. I used Flourish Excel and resorted to getting a proper CO2 injection system. I've never had an outbreak like that since. However, the BBA threatens to return every once in a while. I see the tiny black fuzz starting to sprout in places. I have not taken the time to learn how to measure whatever imbalances lead to this black beard algae growth.

If anyone would like to enlighten me on that. It would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
BBA is a tough one, because it seems a slight change can mean the difference between having it or not. Generally speaking it's a matter of understanding the light and organic load of your tank. It usually appears on slow growing plants and wood first since there is a heavier construction of organics in those areas. The stronger the light or too long a duration can also trigger it to reproduce more.

If your already doing co2, then I would either examine your lighting and see if your can cut back the duration and/or peak period and try to reduce the organic load in the tank by doing more water changes, cleaning up and removing and dead or dying leaves on a regular basis. Any decomposing organics that release ammonia and other toxins will fuel it's growth.

In terms of the black marks, you said on the plants and then you said on the wood, I assume you need plants. It's always better to trim leaves off and let new ones grow. If you using co2, you should be generating new leaves at a pretty good clip even though it's a slower growing plant.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.