The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just received some solenoids that I ordered as 2 way and they sent 3 way valves.

When the valves are not energized The flow goes through the in port and continues to a normally open port. When they are energized it goes to the exhaust port and the flow is blocked to the normally open port.

Is it possible to simply plug the normally open port and use the solenoids as 2 way valves? Seems reasonable to me, but I wanted to run it by the experts.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
One reason I advise shopping carefully for Clippard solenoids is the large number that are out there. Some three way are totally acceptable for my use BUT only if they are the fully ported type. With a pipe sticking out the top it is simple to stick a screw in the exhaust to seal it. Not so easy if there is no pipe to plug.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One reason I advise shopping carefully for Clippard solenoids is the large number that are out there. Some three way are totally acceptable for my use BUT only if they are the fully ported type. With a pipe sticking out the top it is simple to stick a screw in the exhaust to seal it. Not so easy if there is no pipe to plug.
It's the kind with the pipe on the top. Easy enough to plug with a 1/8" NPT male plug.

Here's what the literature says...

(3WMP) 3-Way Multi-Purpose
Valve with three ports, and two orifices. One orifice is located in the body
and the other in the end stop. The three ports are the “NORMALLY OPEN”,
“NORMALLY CLOSED” and “COMMON”. When the valve is de-energized, the
normally closed port is closed and the common port is open to the normally
open port. When the valve is energized, the normally closed port is open
allowing flow from the common port and the normally open orifice is blocked.
3-Way Multi-Purpose Valves can be used as a 3WNC, 3WNO, or a 3WDC valve.
Additionally, valve can be used to pipe the alternate flow of two different media
to one port.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I would not bet the farm until I tried it but it does sound like it would work. Putting the CO2 into the common and a plug in the N.O. would have flow stopped when not energized. When powered the flow would go from Common to N.C. port.
But I'm always cautious until tried in person. Since there are so many looking for a better solution, I'm a bit slow on cheering too loud? Checked on noise and how long it is designed to be powered? Sounds good--- but???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.