The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, I was re-sealing my 240G tank. I used GETRV108 as silicone, and followed the guide here: http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=107

The guide said most silicone's cure within 24 hours, but to wait 48 hours before testing, just to be safe. I waited about 50 hours and I had a leak on the bottom seal directly beneath center brace.

On my Journal, people mentioned that for a bigger tank like mine I should have let the silicone cure for 7 days or longer! So now I'm going back to try and reseal the leaking seal.

My question is, can I just cut away the one seal and reseal it? Or will I have to re-do the whole tank over again?

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
I am under the impression that silicone does not adhere to itself, so I would resilicone the whole tank, to be on the safe side.

240g of water on your floor will not impress your other half.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Darkblade is right. Nothing will adhere to cured silicone, not even silicone.

I actually just bought a tank where it looks like some of the seams were siliconed over without scraping all of the old stuff off,and getting a clean surface. The short story is that the new silicone didn't adhere well, and created a bunch of pockets for algae to grow in where it's nearly impossible to clean.

Redoing all of the silicone (correctly) doesn't sound like a fun job to me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Redoing all of the silicone (correctly) doesn't sound like a fun job to me.
It's not a fun job, I just did it 3 days ago... SIGH! :mad:

I guess I will scrape it all of and do it again... I'm just hesitant because it seems like such a waste of time and money.

But if it prevents 240G of water on the floor it's worth it!

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I would honestly strip and reseal the whole thing. Better safe then sorry when dealing with that amount of water.

Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts