The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my golden rams keep breeding and I never remove the eggs or fry from the tank is there even the slightest chance for them to survive? At least old enough to trade off once a couple months old?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Depends on the rest of the community.
Rams are pretty protective, but not as aggressive as many other Cichlids, and they are not awake at night. Night fish (many cats for example) can clean out all the babies in just one night.

My Rams were OK when the other fish were some Harlequin Rasboras, but I would not trust Cories or most other bottom feeding fish.

Best way to get a high survival rate is with the Rams in their own tank. MAYBE some higher up small dithers. Too small to think of Ram fry as food.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The best mine have done is get the eggs to hatching once, and the fry were gone within the day. Otherwise, the eggs have been gone within 24 hours. My tank has the rams, angels, swords, diamond tetras, lemon tetras, and a couple plecos.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I find a really big mix of results with any cichlids I've spawned. There are some who know from the first minute that they should hide. Then there are others who are totally blind to the need so that can be one big factor. I've not raised rams so I can't say what they know to do. However even if they do know to hide and have plenty of small cracks between the rocks, they will often be found by the fish who work the night shift. Catfish of almost any type will be likely to sniff out and find fry who sleep at night.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ram often eat there eggs for their first few spawns of eggs I suggest remove them with a pipette or turkey baster into a breeding box

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts