The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

New here so am still learning!

I recently purchased a Fluval Roma 240 tank with the intention of setting up a planted aquarium - i previously had a smaller planted tank which went very well and had good growth.

In my last tank i made the mistake of far to much substrate - we had around 0.5" of very fine gravel, then a good 2/3" of soil and then another 1" of gravel - whilst our growth was good it didnt look to great around the sides of the tank particularly. Got the new tank and was keen to learn from these mistakes but think ive possibly made an even bigger mistake!

We have put in https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IJ7MMM0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 straight onto the bottom of the tank - its probably about 0.5" maxmum and then probably a 0.2" of gravel. Whilst it looks nice it seems to be causing some issues now.

Firstly planting into this is a right pain - secondly we dont seem to be seeing anywhere near the growth we previously saw. We have Co2 going in but plants are going brown and we are starting to see a thin layer of algae grow on the glass - something have not seen since i had a non planted tank!

Is not enough substrate a problem? If so what is the optimum depth? Would like gravel on top of the substrate for the look - is the depth of the gravel as important as the soil?

Hope this all makes sense

Marc

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Not familiar/w that product, so can't say it's any good or not. Proven products
usually give best results. But substrate amount is usually 2" in smaller tanks and as much as 3" in the larger ones. If this is the equivalent of using a dirt sub then about an inch of each for that and the gravel. Opinions vary but not that much on these thicknesses.
Often the total thickness is sloped, being higher in the back of the tank.
So for example it might be 2" in front and 3" in the back of a 55G tank. And a 40B tank
that is 18" front to back might go up to 4" in the back. But it's personal choice after
about 2" thick. You likely just reduced the length of time the nutrients will last when
you used .5" in there.
But having a good cap over the "dirt" helps keep down the dirt from leaching into the water. That I would think should be a minimum of .75" over the "dirt".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.