The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had a huge bloom of this furry algae (is it BBA???) in my 58g. It's all over most of my plants in the large clumps pictured here. I recently upgraded my lighting from 126W to 192W and have pressurized CO2. Lighting/CO2 are on 10 hours/day. I'm dosing daily according to Wö£fëñxXx regime. At last reading, my water params were as follows:

Nitrates: 5.0ppm, pH: 6.0, Phosphate: 5ppm, KH: 1, GH: 4, CO2: 30ppm

I was thinking I should probably cut down on the light but am not sure if that will entirely solve the problem. I added the second light and the CO2 about 1 1/2 months ago.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Looks like BBA to me. BBA is generally a Co2 issue, so turn the needle valve up a notch. I've heard you can also kill it by OD'ing (or spot dosing) with Fluorish Excel. I've never tried this, however, but I seem to have a BBA issue on the driftwood in my tank, so I'll be trying this as well :)

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
When I use a 2X dose of Excel in one of my two tanks, the BBA almost immediately turns red. Then over the next few days it goes to white and the fish eat it up. But, I agree that you need to have adequate CO2 in the water or it comes right back. Get a drop checker and you can be sure you have adequate CO2.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ringram and Hoppy. I've been using my bubble counter but my needle valve flies all the way open if I even look at it sideways so, I'm having difficulty finding that balance. I guess I've been pretty paranoid about gassing my fish. Fortunately I have a 2L bottle of Excel so that should make the spot treatment easy! I guess I will need to get a drop checker. Any brand recommendations?

Hoppy, is there a recommended CO2 level that will keep BBA away or is just experimenting until it works?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts