The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking deep into the vegation on the left side of my tank, where there is a ton of Bacopa, Alternanthera, Rotala, and Hydrocotyle.

In this pic, you can see a male diamond tetra hanging out. That's his favorite spot.

(please forgive the absolute spaz attack of over grown plants, that was taken before a trim)

I *believe* I saw a juvenile diamond tetra hiding in the foliage. I know the males have been displaying to eachother, establishing territories and trying to woo the females, but if this is indeed a baby diamond, then cigars for everyone. I'm shocked. The fins, coloration and structure of the mouth match what would be a young diamond.

Yay? Maybe?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha.. it's totallllly a jungle. The tank and I are still getting to know eachother (hahaha) before I really hunker down and create a distinct aquascape.

The fish that live with the diamonds are gold tetras, harlequins, roselines, serpaes, platies and mollies. The reason I was initially looking so hard is because my mollies have been birthing a bunch of fry, so I've been keeping an eye on where all the babies are hiding. This is absolutely not a young molly. I even noticed a little extra sparkle in this baby's scales, and combining that with the shape of the fins, I'm believing that what it must be.

·
Registered
135 Posts
pesonally i like your tank :) i've had a thing for the jungle look for awhile, if thats a jungle then mine is an absolute mess :).

Good luck with the baby fish what ever it is, i'm not sure what i want to put in with my shrimp in my 30 gallon. I'd like to see something that will breed for me but not plague me :).

Diamond tetras are pretty little buggers, have you seen your male showing to females then darting with her over or into some plants? in there i suppose it would be hard as hell tell though.

Either way good work :)

Jason

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Blackthumb! I love my tank, too, even though I would like to redefine some of the sections and add more contrast and order.

One thing is for sure-- the fish love it and soo....

I've confirmed the apidose fin and not only one, but four (so far) young are starting to become brave for a meal of dapnia and tubifex! So yay! I guess I bred Diamond tetras.... whodathunkit?:)

The male you can see in the picture is constantly showing off and will lead a female in. Since I've never bred Characins before (my history is with Tanganyikans and SA cichlids), I just didn't connect the tell-tale courtship signs.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Congrad! I too love the "jungle" look. :) All your plants look lush and healthy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
the one thing i've noticed most about my somewhat messy (ok very messy) tank is that there is a helluva lot more small live food in there than any other tank that i have. I think most of the little daphnia, planaria, hydra and the one black worm came in with the driftwood i used from a long established vivarium that i had running awhile back. Something small would have a good chance of finding a meal in my tank..not many something smalls but at least a few would.

I just wish my shrimp would get together and reproduce lol.

The only tetra i've seen spawing activity out of (no eggs or fry for proof) has been my red hook silver dollars, i have a single male and four females and i'm hoping to get them conditioned up again and give it a shot. Down side is i'll have to move some of my other fish elsewhere during this. I could well use a whole mess of little silver dollars to put in some tanks :).

Good work with the babies hopefully they'll grow fast and join up with the others soon. Would be cool to see a reasonably self sustaining population of fish in a tank other than live bearers. Might want to add some new blood in about a year or so though :p Dont want too much of the cousin courtship :D. Most times it wont show anything negative for awhile though several generations typically :).

Anyhow great work...any chance you could snap a little pic of one of the munchkins?

jason

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I'm definitely shocked. This is another unintentional species spawned under my belt. I'm just twiddling my thumbs.. haha. My Amano shrimp have been holding clutches of eggs for the last few weeks, as well. However I don't have the space to provide them brackish conditions to raise the larvae. Oh well. At least they're happy, too.

And I just realized my dyslexic moment. Adipose. LOL

Anyways. If spawning becomes a habit for these guys (or any of the other fish), I'll keep close tabs on the population and inter-breeding. While I'm thrilled to have provided such an optimal environment for their natural behaviors, I don't want future havoc to break out.

Now that I'm more closely observing the tetras' actions, I'm seeing that there is a female who is consistently with either of two full grown males in a quiet spot among my Ozelot sword. Love is in the air!

I will try my best to get a picture of one of the little guys tonight! Now that they're suddenly brave, it should be easier :hihi:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts