The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be moving to Portland soon and attending school in the Russell community. I have a few questions about Portland if anyone will answer them.

1. I hear Portland water is good for tanks?, Dechlor and your good to go? Im coming from very hard water of Arizona. I'm doing 50/50 tap/ro currently.

2. What stores are best? I keep hearing the Wet Spot.

3. Is a commute from Beaverton to Russell area a bad idea for a daily drive? The 5 and 84 both seem rough for traffic. How about Vancouver to Russell via the 205?

4. Is the Vancouver mall a safe area? How about Fairview or Troutdale? Are they reasonably safe? Is the Beaverton side newer than the east side of Portland?

Sorry a few of these are off topic. Just getting ready for the move, and the cloudy weather also. lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll be moving to Portland soon and attending school in the Russell community. I have a few questions about Portland if anyone will answer them.

1. I hear Portland water is good for tanks?, Dechlor and your good to go? Im coming from very hard water of Arizona. I'm doing 50/50 tap/ro currently.

2. What stores are best? I keep hearing the Wet Spot.

3. Is a commute from Beaverton to Russell area a bad idea for a daily drive? The 5 and 84 both seem rough for traffic. How about Vancouver to Russell via the 205?

4. Is the Vancouver mall a safe area? How about Fairview or Troutdale? Are they reasonably safe? Is the Beaverton side newer than the east side of Portland?

Sorry a few of these are off topic. Just getting ready for the move, and the cloudy weather also. lol
Hello, welcome to PNW!
1. Not sure about water in Portland, but I live in Vancouver (Camas) and our water is hard.
2. Wet spot is the best, go there for a big tank selection and the best fish, Pets on Broadway got some new stuff as of lately and scaled down on their SW and their prices are cheaper sometimes (like Amanos and I dont remember what else). World of wet pets in beaverton got a nice selection of plecos, but they overcharge for hardware.
3. 84 is always a nightmare no matter which way you are going in my opinion and you would really really hate that commute from beaverton, especially during rush hour
4. I live in Vancouver, and I really wouldn't recommend vanc mall area, yeah it's close to 205 but pretty sketchy. If you can choose between Vancouver and fairview/gresham, Vanc is much much better. Commute from Vancouver to Russell would be a breeze in the morning, sometimes it can get jammed towards the evening but once you are past airport way exit, it's super fast. Have you looked at other areas in Vancouver? I can recommend some if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Portland water is perfect. 0gh and 1kh and a ph of 7.5. Great stuff. You a teen? I am! :)
The wet spot is the best of the best. There's world of wet pets which is not bad. There's also various stores down south. But these 2 are the best. As for the commute, I don't drive so I dunno at all.

My suggestion is to be like me, don't go during rush hour. ;)

As for the malls, Washington Square, pioneer place, clackamas square, Woodburn is a bit down south but also a great place.

·
Banned
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Tankfish, please do recommend me a few areas. Right now i'm thinking Troutdale/Fairview or somewhere in Vancouver. Gresham is very sketchy. I don't know Vancouver very well besides the mall area. Where are the better/newer areas of Vancouver? It all depends on what comes available when it is time to move. Thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like area around 192nd in Vancouver, it's been growing for last couple of years and it is pretty quite and nice. 164th is nice too, it's pretty much the main street on that side of Vancouver and taking 14 to 205 is nice and you get the most gorgeous view (mt. hood) on your way back. Camas is a little bit further but we got some great parks and fishing pretty much all year. I used to drive to Gresham from camas on weekly bases and it took me about 30 minutes, I rarely got stuck in traffic (once in the winter when wind gusts torn a semi in half). I honestly wouldn't recommend anything between downtown Vanc and 164th (besides McGillivray blvd.) but once you get on either side it's nice and quiet with everything you need (well besides fish stores).

·
Registered
498 Posts
I really like living in beaverton and aloha, the west side of Portland is the best IMO. Stay away from SE. My inlaws live in Gresham and it's becoming bad over there for crime. I live in the aloha area and I like it.

I used to commute from Gresham to Hillsboro for work and it was horrible, try to live close enough to where you need to be so that you can avoid all the freeways or you are going to hate it after a few months.

Otherwise, Portland is a fun city with a lot to do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.