The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm having some behavioral issues with my rasbora school.

I have 5 total in a 10 gallon community tank, and one female is quite full of eggs. Two of the males seemed to be 'sparring' for several days, trying to figure out who would spawn with her. However, there was apparently no clear winner, because the female still appears gravid and I've observed no spawning behavior. It looked like the female tried to 'initiate' with a smaller male, but I think he's a juvenile, because he wasn't sure what to do and didn't chase her. It was kind of awkward.

My question is, should I put the female and one of her suitors in a smaller tank, to induce spawning, or let nature take it's course in the main tank? I'd certainly like to raise some little Rasboras, but I'm also worried about the female fish's health, and the stress among the males.

Thanks so much for your help!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip! I heard about the necessary age difference, but, as I bought the fish at a pet store, I'm not sure of their ages. I suspect 3 are adults and 2 are sub-adults, based on size.

If the female hasn't spawned by the time I'm back from the gym, I think I'll put her, a male, and a plant in a separate part of the tank. The 2 adult males are still fighting rather fiercely, and I'm worried they'll hurt themselves. Their tankmates are getting riled up, too eeek!

Thanks again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.