The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did not want to Hijack Craig's thread!!
Question on Poret I have 2 Goldfish tanks and always struggling with Nitrates even with all the filters running. Would poret significantly increase the bio capabilities?? If so what would be the best application. I have Eheims's & AC HOB's running on all the GF tanks.
If I understand for shrimp tanks you would use as a partition before cannister?
Karen

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Poret is used in the HMF application generally. With that its usually some type of wall with either a powerhead behind it shooting the water out or an air pipe like with airfilters inside it.

I would wager to guess that your GF tanks are overstocked and since they're very dirty fish in general its adding to your problem. Poret is just a open cell foam which has higher surface area, I think its comparable to other normal biomedia in your canister filter.

-Andrew

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrew no not over stocked they are just kick off a lot of ammonia. Plus our tap water.....legendary in our neighborhood for high amount of chlorine added. We live in a historic area with old pipes. They are constantly flooding our lines to create sanitary water for us. Problem begins when we do water changes...GF tanks we do 80% weekly. Should this be a lucky day and the chlorine is off the charts it significantly sets our filters back. Will even cause a mini cycle. This is so frustrating. This is an ongoing issue. We have a lot of pipe breaks in our neighborhood.

I'm in a constant search for anything to add additional bio filtration. All the inverts and tropical tanks get RO water. We just don't have the space to RO that amount of water for the GF, so they get tap. We probably will have to begin drawing water in a 55G barrel and holding over night to gas out all the nasties.
Any thoughts?????
I'm at wits end with the water in those tanks. They are bare bottom & heavily panted with Anubius on wood and potted crypts. Use purigen. Local fish people in our neighborhood struggle with the same issues.
My personal opinion is all this gas drilling in town throws off a lot of vibrations thus causing a lot of stress fractures within our infrastructure. One town has even had earthquakes and suspended all drilling...guess what no more quakes. We are in Texas..not quake country. LOL

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I see where you're coming from.

Like, I would assume it can't hurt, its supposed to be a great filter medium. I just would be hesitant to hope anything will be your magical cure all or whatnot you know?

I think the rain barrel idea is probably your best bet to let out all the chlorine although do chloramines evaporate?

I would also Email the guy who sells the Poret, I had been planning on buying some in the past and he was very friendly and knowledgeable. In the end I didn't buy it because I didn't want that much in the tank...

-Andrew

·
Registered
405 Posts
Here's what worked for me. Goldfish like to eat alot so that's why they throw off a lot of detritus. I "over filter" but nitrates were always a problem. I now have an RO/DI water system for my aquariums and use it for the goldfish tank water changes. It really makes a difference, but I have to put in additives to raise the hardness and pH to appropriate goldfish-friendly levels. If goldfish are your game, I recommend RO water especially if the water in your locality it the problem that it is. It may be a bit of expense at first but once you have it, you'll be relieved of the problem.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andrew good direction I'll email him.
Avi, Yes I love goldfish...they make me smile, notice my Avatar. Nice to have a fellow GF'er in our forums. To me it's like having a puppy around in a good happy way.
Ok..RO without changing any other factors did you see a significant change in the Nitrate levels? There must be a way of creating a RO storage/staging area in our attic. We have all mechanical and water heaters there. I would be happy with that. Major concerns there would be water temps. I'll just have to look into where I could store the water. Very old home and space is a premium.
I make there food, a gel based food very very healthy. The shrimp love it too they get it a few days a week.

With tap water city additives that come out in large quantities the bio filters just get destroyed in the process and cannot do what they should be doing with GH poop. So it has turned into a vicious cycle that I cannot win. We have a water hydrant across the street and it has a cylinder attached all the time gassing our lines. We can smell and you can feel it. We may go to some sort of whole house treatment as money permits. My eyes some days are so irritated that can't even put my contacts in after washing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
..Avi, Yes I love goldfish...they make me smile, notice my Avatar. Nice to have a fellow GF'er in our forums...Ok..RO without changing any other factors did you see a significant change in the Nitrate levels? There must be a way of creating a RO storage/staging area in our attic. We have all mechanical and water heaters there. I would be happy with that. Major concerns there would be water temps. I'll just have to look into where I could store the water. Very old home and space is a premium.
I make there food, a gel based food very very healthy. The shrimp love it too they get it a few days a week.

With tap water city additives that come out in large quantities the bio filters just get destroyed in the process and cannot do what they should be doing with GH poop. So it has turned into a vicious cycle that I cannot win. We have a water hydrant across the street and it has a cylinder attached all the time gassing our lines. We can smell and you can feel it. We may go to some sort of whole house treatment as money permits. My eyes some days are so irritated that can't even put my contacts in after washing.
Yeah, I have a weakness for fancy goldfish and always have. So, I have a tank for them and have to control myself because of the lack of space, with all my other tanks.

But, it sounds like RO/DI is the thing you need to do with all those water issues that you have in your locality. Using the RO/DI I have negligible nitrates and water changes keeps it very low for sure. So, it's a matter of figuring out what would be the best RO setup for you. I was intimidated by the whole idea but I knew that it would be a real benefit for all of my fishtanks so I looked into it, posted questions, called the companies that have experts and eventually went for it. I'm really happy that I did and now I hate the thought of ever using tap for water changes in any of my tanks. I have full control over what the fish are swimming in now.

Arriving at the best configuration (amount of capablity by gallons per day, number of mediums in the system, where to situate the RO system, etc.) for your fish hobby is the challenge. I wound up getting a fair-sized one at 90gpd, and it's in the utility room next to the den where all the fish tanks are. It makes water changes very convenient by connecting a long vinyl hose that reaches all of the tanks....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts