The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have a AquaClear 50 filter running on my 33 gal. planted tank. I am running it with 2 sponges and am going to add some bio-balls. I am adding CO2 and am having trouble keeping the CO2 levels up and i am wondering if the small amount of surface turbulation caused by the falling water might be causing this. My tank is usually very full and the water is only falling about an inch out of the filter before it hits the surface so i am having trouble believing that is too much surface turbulance and my CO2 is escaping.

I do have hard water (7.2 dKH) and high pH (7.6) so i have to pump quite a bit of CO2 in to begin to get to 30 ppm's i am looking for, so i want to make sure the water parameters is the issue or if maybe its another problem like surface turbulance.

Is this a bad filter for a planted tank ?

What are say....the top 4 external canister filter brands so i can start to do some research ?

Thanks for any help !

James

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
the best canister is in my opinion Rena Filstar. They have different models according to tank size. I have the largest one on my 100 gallon. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
For your 33 gallon, I think the Rena FilStar xP2 model would do great.
In the mean time, raise your water level to the lip of the outflow. I have to keep the water level of my 10 gallon hexagon really high in order to prevent gassing off of CO2. Since my tank is a smaller one, I need to remove water when reaching my hand into the tank in order to not overflow the tank from the displacement. I do not think that would be a problem with your tank.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input ! Am I correct in thinking that i can get away with the one i have so long as i have the tank filled right up to the lip of the aquaclear discharge to minimize surface turbulance ? I am planning on investing in an external cannister type filter but if i dont have to rush that would be relieving.

Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
fix to quiet HOB

I have a fix for you, to still the surface and quiet your hang-on-back filter. This works even as the water level gets lower. You drill two holes at the outside edges of the outflow lip and twist tie on a piece of plastic grid called craft plastic, which you can buy at arts & crafts stores. I bend the end in the water up a bit to direct the flow along the surface. Your filter will be silent ( ah, sleep) and your tank will retain CO2.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/furfin/?action=view&current=HOBgrid.jpg

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Save me some good looks ?...not sure what that means.

I talked to my local big al's store about purchasing a fluval 205 cannister filter and they told me that they stopped carrying them because they were getting about a 25 % return rate on them. That coupled with the fact that every fish store i go to has them on clearance (30 % or more) makes me wonder. Any one have any trouble or success with this line of filters ?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have a fix for you, to still the surface and quiet your hang-on-back filter. This works even as the water level gets lower. You drill two holes at the outside edges of the outflow lip and twist tie on a piece of plastic grid called craft plastic, which you can buy at arts & crafts stores. I bend the end in the water up a bit to direct the flow along the surface. Your filter will be silent ( ah, sleep) and your tank will retain CO2.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/furfin/?action=view&current=HOBgrid.jpg
Just so Ya know: that type of mesh is also available at Walmart in the crafts section--usually less than $1.

I talked to my local big al's store about purchasing a fluval 205 cannister filter and they told me that they stopped carrying them because they were getting about a 25 % return rate on them. That coupled with the fact that every fish store i go to has them on clearance (30 % or more) makes me wonder. Any one have any trouble or success with this line of filters ?
I have never used a Fluval, but here's a vote for the xp Series:

I have 2x xP3, 1x xP2 and 1x xP1. I am Happy with all of them and the money that I saved over other possible choices. An xP2 would be good for a 33g, but I would recommend the xP3. Why? More media area and You are all set for the Future, Inevitable UPgrade! The xPs are Good Bank-for-Buck Filters. :proud:

HTH

·
Registered
974 Posts

As in, you won't have to look at the piece of plastic on your filter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just run a airline hose from my co2 tank to the inlet of the pump, and let the pump be the reactor. A lot less cheaper, and doesn't restrict the flow of the pump. I have no problem keeping my 120 Gallon at 6.4 and a 10lb tank last me 2 months.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I just run a airline hose from my co2 tank to the inlet of the pump, and let the pump be the reactor. A lot less cheaper, and doesn't restrict the flow of the pump. I have no problem keeping my 120 Gallon at 6.4 and a 10lb tank last me 2 months.
Oh shweet. I think I may just do that for my 29 gallon. I think I'll set up a 2nd bottle just to test that out.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I ran a Fluval 304 for 3ish years without to many headaches. New seals and a lever/handle. I swaped that out with an XP3. No complaints there, a good buy for the money in my opinion. I now have an FX5. I've only been trialing it, but it's quite the water mover :icon_twis

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.