The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm having an issue with water flow in these tanks. I have another system that is exactly the same that works great, but was built by someone else. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Basically, there's filtration on the bottom, first through filter socks and then through bioballs. The water passes to the pump which pushes it up to either the first or second shelf (they each have their own pump) and are passed through those green and black valves. The water moves out the PVC on the front of the tank and goes back down to the filtration system.
In this system, as soon as you open a valve theres a lot of gurgling. Also, often the first one won't work until you open the second one, and then the second won't work until you open the third, etc. I'm not sure if that is telling of what my problem is.
Originally I was using the same strength pump as the other system, I switched it for a much more powerful one but the problem remains. Please help!

Kristyn

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Is there any way for air bubbles that gets through the pump to escape?

This reminds me of all the effort I had to go through to get water from my taps again after working on the geyser, felt like a game of whack-a-mole.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any way for air bubbles that gets through the pump to escape?

This reminds me of all the effort I had to go through to get water from my taps again after working on the geyser, felt like a game of whack-a-mole.
I don't think so. They sometimes come out of the taps, but can be adjusted until they stop. I assume they are carried through the system because the flow is pretty hard.

I adjusted the position of the pipe bringing excess water back to the section where the pump sits, I think it was just shooting water right where the pump was trying to intake, which could have definitely been causing a lot of air bubbles but also just inconsistent uptake. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for your reply! I think air bubbles were a part of the problem. What would you suggest I do to allow them to escape without subsequently allowing water to escape?

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
If you've got air in the water then you need to find where it's picking it up. Loose suction line on the pump if external? Water level too low if internal pump?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Some pipe extension that runs higher than the tanks with a small opening on top, so that the air can escape, but the water can fill the upper pipes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.