The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Take a straw and blow into your tank every few minutes.

I couldn't help myself.>:)
I once actually asked this. Your added all that you breathe into the tank co2 will dissolve quickly so...I know you couldn't help yourself but it really cannot be done.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I found this poor man's technique worked great several years ago when I was experimenting with CO2 and drop checkers. That was with a pint of water. With 10 gallons the effect is harder to get. With 55 gallons of water it ceases to be a poor man's technique and becomes an attempted suicide!>:)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Already tried this years back. I'd ride my bike around the block to build up some carbon dioxide and then re-breathe my last breath into a plastic bag to give it an extra amount of CO2, then quick into the house with my head swimming from oxygen deprivation to blow that last breath into the tank bell jars.

Really dumb.

Yeast and Sugar works fine by comparison

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Already tried this years back. I'd ride my bike around the block to build up some carbon dioxide and then re-breathe my last breath into a plastic bag to give it an extra amount of CO2, then quick into the house with my head swimming from oxygen deprivation to blow that last breath into the tank bell jars.

Really dumb.

Yeast and Sugar works fine by comparison
Thanks for that laugh!

Bump:
Yes but what kinda of bubbles per second can you get?
:wink2:
Ok, well I bet we could figure that out. But the truth of the science is, that you can't 'take a breath' and then breath into the tank. You have to have a normal period of breath, and the amount of CO2 will be substantial. So not a lot of air, just a little breath.

Bump:
Do not attempt if you are smoker like myself.
Yea, I think I'm really waiting for the day I find that all I need to do is piss in my tank each day, and everything will grow beautifully and live well.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Your exhaled breath is like 100,000 ppm by volume CO2 from what I can remember. The key is to collect the CO2. Does anybody work in the CO2 scrubbing field? What about a device that collects CO2 while the lights are off and release CO2 when needed.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your exhaled breath is like 100,000 ppm by volume CO2 from what I can remember. The key is to collect the CO2. Does anybody work in the CO2 scrubbing field? What about a device that collects CO2 while the lights are off and release CO2 when needed.
Brilliant! Yes, Richard Branson is/was funding a CO scrubbing contest a few years back. I don't know if a facility has been built yet, but it's a game changer if we get good at it.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Brilliant! Yes, Richard Branson is/was funding a CO scrubbing contest a few years back. I don't know if a facility has been built yet, but it's a game changer if we get good at it.
I read it a while back. There's a compound that traps CO2 naturally like activated carbon. You'd move air through a matrix of the stuff. When you need CO2 released, you apply heat.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Lithium hydroxide is a substance that can scrub the CO2 out of air. But, I couldn't find out how you can "withdraw" the CO2 for any use, or recycle the lithium carbonate that forms when it is combined with CO2.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can store CO2 in water too! Just blow again and again and again and the water becomes carbonated. This thought makes me rethink how to make a DIY yeast sugar system that can be shut off at night. See my DIY forum post to see what this generated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can I raise the stakes on the recklessly impractical CO2 solutions?
What about the flue gasses from your gas boiler? A nice premix burner produces a steady 9.0%CO2 and lots of it, about equal to the volume of gas that being burnt and that is measured in litres per second. Now that sort of CO2 rate would grow some plant. Save the planet a bit as well.

Disclaimer...
If anybody tries it and it and it all goes boobs up, it wasn't my idea, I was never here.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Can I raise the stakes on the recklessly impractical CO2 solutions?
What about the flue gasses from your gas boiler? A nice premix burner produces a steady 9.0%CO2 and lots of it, about equal to the volume of gas that being burnt and that is measured in litres per second. Now that sort of CO2 rate would grow some plant. Save the planet a bit as well.

Disclaimer...
If anybody tries it and it and it all goes boobs up, it wasn't my idea, I was never here.
You left out another gas, CO right?

·
Registered
197 Posts
You can store CO2 in water too! Just blow again and again and again and the water becomes carbonated. This thought makes me rethink how to make a DIY yeast sugar system that can be shut off at night. See my DIY forum post to see what this generated.
Yea, you drop a dry ice "torpedo" down to a level where the pressure ensures it stays solidified.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.