The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is awesome!!!!

I raised fry from eggs collected from my back yard pond in this pool last summer. Pool was under $10 and holds a couple hundred gallons if I remember right. This pic is just after filling. I was hoping I had a picture of my filter that I made. Imagine a kitchen type trash bin sitting in the pool with a couple big rocks to hold it down and full of sponges. I used a cheap harbor freight pump, some clear hose and section of PVC to pump the water to the bottom of the bin and then the water flowed out of some holes I drilled higher up on the bin. -Worked awesome.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Italionstallion88: Awesome job on the Co2 bottles and diffuser, Giant Thumbs Up!

TekWarren: Super cool job and making a indoor pond and keeping it Epic with that pools design.
You sir get Two Fat Thumbs Up!

JohnEx: I like how you recycle, Thumbs Up!

PS. If anyone actually likes recieving "badges" for their awesome works, let me know and I can make one for ya, sometimes Im a little slow but I will get it done. Just thought badges are a fun way to "link" your handy work in your sig for everyone else to see also :)

·
Registered
5,738 Posts

4inch drainage pipe tube, and 4 inch "t"s with the top loped off, 2 inch pvc 90*, shutoff valve, and bit of piping to drain it back into the tank. inlet is re-using the canister 3/4" tubing, 3/4 inch "t" with one end capped (to drain when system needs turned off.. there's one at the other end too). Hanging parts.. drawing a blank but the pvc unit was under $40 to make.

edit:
forgot to say whats its actually for lol. This is an aquaponics system which is basically a garden with plants grown with roots submerged in well aerated tank water. Plants suck up nitrate from water to grow, fish get cleaner water... Also get some food out of it, going to grow lettuce, spinach, and a few herbs in the 6 plants. Final bonus: less water changes once plants get big (doing 3x a week now to keep nitrate low ugh)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What is the pvc structure for? Additional filtration? I'm lost...
I think it works because the nitrogen from the fish tank basicly feeds the plants above that would be growing from the pots inside the pvc. Correct?
Caint remember what its called, maybe aquaponics?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
What is the pvc structure for? Additional filtration? I'm lost...
Oh sorry my first post here I mentioned it but forgot to above (will add). Its aquaponics system which put simply, is a garden using water from a fish tank... like hydroponics but using fish instead of mineral/nutrient additives. I'm using it as a method to reduce nitrates so in essence.. yes its extra filtration ^^ Bonus:growing edible leafy greens and herbs for tie family (or fish) to munch on!
Will be adding plants hopefully by the end of the week.

I think it works because the nitrogen from the fish tank basicly feeds the plants above that would be growing from the pots inside the pvc. Correct?
Caint remember what its called, maybe aquaponics?
yep ^^

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Not a bad thread, has the opportunity to show some real creative and cost effective ideas. I can't wait to start my money saving aquaponics setup.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've done this with both my 2.5 gallon tanks... quick, easy fixes to raise the lights since I didn't have a way to hang them. I just used some wire we had around the house to make legs for the hood. As you can see, this one isn't all that even. :icon_neut However, it works, and that's not bad for someone who's not very talented in the design/building things field. The tank's a bit bare since I just did the bi-annual trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
That's a thread where my DYI T8 ramp would fit in.:)
A long ,plastic flower pot(about 2 ft long) ,coated with mylar on the inside ,placed upside-down on top of tank.T8 end caps ,held in place by screws(2nd pic).If I want my light lower ,all I have to do is unscrew the top nuts ,and the end caps are lowered closer to the water surface.I keep it at max height though ,as my tank is shallow and I don't want loads of light.My tank is only 10 inches high :)

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
That's a thread where my DYI T8 ramp would fit in.:)
A long ,plastic flower pot(about 2 ft long) ,coated with mylar on the inside ,placed upside-down on top of tank.T8 end caps ,held in place by screws(2nd pic).If I want my light lower ,all I have to do is unscrew the top nuts ,and the end caps are lowered closer to the water surface.I keep it at max height though ,as my tank is shallow and I don't want loads of light.My tank is only 10 inches high :)
Thats what Im talking about :) Flower pots for light housing.

Everyone who posted on this thread, Yall get two giant thumps up!

·
Banned
90 Posts
Some verry good poor man equitmant here ! :) i always try to build something instaid of buying from a shop mainly since i have no job. here is an old light fixture from a small aquarium master fish tank screwed to a peice of perspex and then screwed strait down to the hood! works good thats all i can say guys :thumbsup: second thing is a spray bar made from a peice of garden hose and drilled about 10 holes in it capped of with a garden irigation blocking plug :D goes alright if ya ask me expect a hell of a lot more from me casue im always dee ien meself things hardly every buy something unless i cant build it! dont even ask me about the sand that i used for substrate that has been used as a kitty litter sand pit for my cats i just cleaned it off a bit and shes good to go! xD will post some more later when it stops raining cant be botered walking down wet steps at this moment haha :) :fish::fish1:

Attachments

·
Banned
90 Posts
Some verry good poor man equitmant here ! :) i always try to build something instaid of buying from a shop mainly since i have no job. here is an old light fixture from a small aquarium master fish tank screwed to a peice of perspex and then screwed strait down to the hood! works good thats all i can say guys :thumbsup: second thing is a spray bar made from a peice of garden hose and drilled about 10 holes in it capped of with a garden irigation blocking plug :D goes alright if ya ask me expect a hell of a lot more from me casue im always dee ien meself things hardly every buy something unless i cant build it! dont even ask me about the sand that i used for substrate that has been used as a kitty litter sand pit for my cats i just cleaned it off a bit and shes good to go! xD will post some more later when it stops raining cant be botered walking down wet steps at this moment haha :) :fish::fish1:
Here is my i think 30 litere tank i have 3 guppies all pregnate females from the petstore and 2 snake lokking things i found in the river put em in my fish tank and the live hapy i think one is preganant casue its getting fatt :hihi: they eating the poopies of the guppies and alge stuff i got a light holder wraped and coiled it around the top peice of the hanger buy the power cord itself and hooked up the 240v to it as you can see the cabled and lighting holder prongs are left nicely bare so just the way i like 240ac my frined and enime :help: then attached a nice 20watt 6500k light to the sucker held it up with a hanger stand i made out of some wood nails and glue. the aquarium stand table is made buy my dad out of steel i think it is meant for my 120liter but thats curently sitting in my lounge room on a wodden table/ got a gallon i think plastic tub and used it for breeding the australian rivver and rivulet snail chucked in a spunge filter made from a bycicycle pump tube squished in a garden hose and pluged the bottom with a bottle cap and hot glue shoved a airstone down it and sucktion cupie it to the side goes good bros :+)= and my chunck of lead for weighing down driftwoods in the tank just a roofing screw to hold it inplace till it asorbs anouth water for it to freely sink

Attachments

21 - 40 of 44 Posts