The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
120 gallon tank, pH 7.2, hardness around 300 ppm (and dropping with every RO water change), 6 hours of light every day, I bought the lights used so I don't have a good idea as to wattage as they're not labeled. N. zenkeri going bananas and random aponogeton (maybe A. ulvaceus) right next to it has thrown three inflorescences after having grown from a bulb the size of a peanut. Substrate is the same for all three, plain white chunky aquarium gravel. No added CO2.

The leaves are very narrow, and growth is slow. I've added a capsule of Osmocote Plus to each 2-3 times since I put them in there 2-3 months ago, with no apparent difference. The image is deceptive; leafspan is about 9-10" across.

I cut down on the lighting hours soon after I started because of algae. Should I bump it up from the current 6 hours/day, or is there something else going on?

·
Registered
146 Posts
120 gallon tank, pH 7.2, hardness around 300 ppm (and dropping with every RO water change), 6 hours of light every day, I bought the lights used so I don't have a good idea as to wattage as they're not labeled. N. zenkeri going bananas and random aponogeton (maybe A. ulvaceus) right next to it has thrown three inflorescences after having grown from a bulb the size of a peanut. Substrate is the same for all three, plain white chunky aquarium gravel. No added CO2.

The leaves are very narrow, and growth is slow. I've added a capsule of Osmocote Plus to each 2-3 times since I put them in there 2-3 months ago, with no apparent difference. The image is deceptive; leafspan is about 9-10" across.

I cut down on the lighting hours soon after I started because of algae. Should I bump it up from the current 6 hours/day, or is there something else going on?

Is osmocote a root fert?
I use the seachem root tabs and my swords do pretty well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I put a bit of Osmocote Plus in a 00 or 000 gel capsule, put it under the roots. It's worked great in my other tanks and for the other two plants in this tank. Just for some reason the sword isn't doing much of anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.