The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Most pool or spa supply stores will carry PFS - around $10. or less for a 50 lb. bag.
Different brands come in different colorations - some beige/sandy-colored, others white/off white. I prefer white silica PFS. It's a great substrate imo.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Is all pool filter sand safe? I was thinking of picking some up tomorrow...
Google the brand, I've used Leslie's with no problems. You should sign up for Leslie's emails and you will get 20% emails from time to time especially now after pool season is done.

I do prefer a sand that is darker in color. But a tractor supply isn't close to me to get the blasting sand.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Google the brand, I've used Leslie's with no problems. You should sign up for Leslie's emails and you will get 20% emails from time to time especially now after pool season is done.

I do prefer a sand that is darker in color. But a tractor supply isn't close to me to get the blasting sand.
I like white sand.. but this is... Can anybody post a picture of theirs? I went o leslies and got a large brown bag filled with light sand in tons of differnt grain sizes... not sure how I feel about it yet... lol...
Its California... Pool season is NEVER done!! lol

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
You want a pic - here's my planted discus tank with white silica PFS:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/Sept2011
Paul

QUOTE=Eldachleich;1553637]I like white sand.. but this is... Can anybody post a picture of theirs? I went o leslies and got a large brown bag filled with light sand in tons of differnt grain sizes... not sure how I feel about it yet... lol...
Its California... Pool season is NEVER done!! lol[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
You want a pic - here's my planted discus tank with white silica PFS:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/Sept2011
Paul

QUOTE=Eldachleich;1553637]I like white sand.. but this is... Can anybody post a picture of theirs? I went o leslies and got a large brown bag filled with light sand in tons of differnt grain sizes... not sure how I feel about it yet... lol...
Its California... Pool season is NEVER done!! lol
[/QUOTE]
That looks way different than mine

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
As I said before - there are many different makes/brands. I got mine @ a large pool supply store in our area - it was a no-name brand, but definitely white silica PFS.
It is small-grained, but quite dense/heavy, and doesn't get drawn up into my vac tube.
Very easy to keep clean - I love it and use it in both my tanks.
What did you get ? Coloration?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have also used "Mason Sand" from out local concrete supply place. Its the same as silica sand and has that natural beach sand look to it. Was heavy enough to not get blown around but did require quite a bit of rinsing to clean it out.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Mine looks like cat litter... close up its a binch of ... it looks like tumbled rocks.. its more grey than anythings..
can you post a picture? What brand name?

How much was it? IS it possible you got zeosand?

Most sand is regional. Companies do not pay for sand to be transported from alabama to california, so the sand from one place to the other could vary, greatly.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Guess that makes sense, another brand I got at a pool store near me was Lighthouse. This was sold at a large seasonal center and appeared darker in color. I haven't opened it yet. It was $8 vs $13 at Leslie's from the bag I got a long time ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.