1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this product at my local store
http://www.pondcare.com/en_us/productCategory.asp?categoryname=PlantCare
Pondcare Aquatic Planting media.

From what I've read it appears to be something that does not change pH, does not contain organics, fertilizers, phosphates, pesticides or cloud the water. It contains zeolite which boasts the capacity to hold nutrients from the water column and making it available to plants by their roots.

Just want to know if anyone has heard of this product, has anything to say about it in general? I;m thinking about picking some up next time i see it and give it a looksee.

Kara

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
No other opinions or anyone else hear of this product?
kara
No, but any substrate with zeolite is worth it, IMO. It has a really high CEC and a high porosity which should provide a great substrate medium for plant roots. Now it comes down to color and weight. It would be an ideal base substrate, underneath Flourite, EC or AquaSoil.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I picked up a bag of this in the clearance basket at PEtco for 4 bucks. I am going to use it on a 5g I am getting ready to set up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
let me know how it works

Might be a good option depending on size to use as a base for eco, although it seems everyone suggests not to mix eco just for the hassle factor. I haven't found any locally, but I haven't been to the pond places yet. I don't know what size or color it is. It appeared to be quite small in size.

kara

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Turface, and also Soilmaster Pro select are both sold for use on baseball diamonds. They are "soil conditioners" and are very similar to what you describe. Lesco (www.lesco.com) sells Soilmaster and it generally goes for about $11-$17 per 50 lbs - so it's really cheap, and grows plants VERY well.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've used it in a Plant Filter, and inquired about it in this thread:

Anybody ever use this stuff.....?

I switched over to flourite when I switched the plant filter to a 29g aquarium. I still have the stuff in storage (and a bunch of AS too). I liked it, I just went with the flourite because that's what's in the other tanks of this system.

It will cloud the water initally, but its not a problem. Clears up fast.

Here's a pic of it inside the plant filter. Its hard to see much, but the plants are healthy under very low light:

HTH

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks. It is really light in color, i'm not sure I like it. Does it get darker in the water? I have or had white gravel in my tank is it is gross once coated in algae, and mulm, I don't want that to happen again.

kara

1 - 13 of 13 Posts