The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad gave this to me I don't think he ever used it. I'm just wanting to know if this is something you would want or if you can bury it in a planted tank. Here's pictures front and back.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been wondering about this myself. This stuff is way cheaper than API Root Tabs or Flourish. Any advice out there?
API also sells a pond plant food tablet product that's much cheaper than what they market for aquariums. Is there a difference?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
It has a much higher NPK ratio than API and Flourish. I'm not sure how much that will affect water parameters. What I would be concerned about is the source of nitrogen in the Pondcare product. Ammoniacal nitrogen is 4.86% from ammonium phosphate. Unless you have acidic water it's likely to cause an algae bloom with that much ammonia.

Pondcare
10-12-8

API
3-1-1

Flourish Root Tabs
0.28 - 0.17 - 0.16

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have some of this, but my 9oz package contains, Sodium Molybdate. Like Zorfox mentioned, it's got a higher concentration of nutrients.

If you add it to your tank, it will dissolve into a cloudy mess like shredded wheat nugget in a bowl of milk & possibly kill off all your livestock. It's designed more for pond plants that require HEAVY fertilizers that are kept in pots & other containers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts