The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was hoping to get insight from someone that may have experience with my problem.

I had Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) for several years and really liked their benefit. I then ordered some duck weed that had some pond snails in tow. My MTS quickly died out/empty shells everywhere. Out competed? There is still some algae in the tank and ofc still detritus on the bottom. I have bought more but they seem to quickly disappear as well. This has happened in my heavily planted tanks. Both are dirt tanks with gravel cap. One 65gallon, the other 10gallon.

I tried dosing much ammonia in my 10gallon to kill the pond snails. It ended up killing all my plants and the snails came back. :/
I suppose I will do copper next and see...

Anything to help? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Copper definitely works, though I have had some survive in my substrate but I wasn't treating for the snails. I've had good luck with pond snails, for me they take over my tanks when I have too much detritus and food and self regulate once it's gone. Hope you get rid of your problem snails!!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
If you use copper, the MTS may have a much harder time surviving than if you didn't use it....

You could always try heating the tank up to 100-104° F for a few hours or dumping in a bunch of alum to attempt to "pickle" them?

Any chance that anything else changed? I wonder if something was introduced that the MTS didn't like but don't bother the other snails?

Which, btw... are they actually pond snails? Or bladder snails?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Just spitballing, but is the dirt in your tank organic? Some non-organic soils have fertilizer pellets built in. These fertilizer pellets are coated to be slow release. Maybe all was well with the MTS until they dug up some of these slow release pellets and then couldn't survive the nutrient release? Again just spitballing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any chance that anything else changed? I wonder if something was introduced that the MTS didn't like but don't bother the other snails?
Hi, not a thing changed except adding the duck weed (and the snails that came with it). It is an odd problem.

Which, btw... are they actually pond snails? Or bladder snails?
I don't know tbh. Just doing a quick google and it seems bladder snails breath air. These snails don't hang out up top for air.

Thank you for your thoughts.

is the dirt in your tank organic?
I made sure to use organic soil. Thank you for the suggestion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.