Votes: 28 58.3%
  • Rid Tank of them

Votes: 20 41.7%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there seems to be no common opinion I would like to conduct this poll.
Pond Snails do you keep or rid them?
Why or why not?

I let them do their thing with out any means of control, to me it seems like the population will level off and go in cycles depending on algae growth or excessive food. I think they help keep my tank clean so I like them, therefore I vote to keep them. IMHO
Philip

·
Registered
189 Posts
I say keep them, manual population control when needed. Mine eventually got outcompeted by MTS and Mystery snails.

·
Registered
773 Posts
They are better at algae control than my shrimp and don't harm healthy plant tissue. The only downside is they make too many babies... might have to have a dwarf puffer tank soon ;)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
When I see an orgy going on, I thin them out...Usually on algae wafers that my Plecos hadn't gotten to yet....otherwise, no big deal, leave them alone.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
MTS = Malaysian Trumpet Snails
CRS = Crystal Red Shrimp

There is an advantage, like with MTS, over other snails. MTS for example dig through the substrate and prevent the "death bubble". I keep them in all my tanks.

As for the poll, if they don't do any damage to my plants then I'm fine with pond snails. They are in every tank. Once a month I do a small removal with zucchini and fishing line.

·
Registered
362 Posts
keep them!

Then set up another tank with a speices who requires them as a staple in their diet, like pufferfish. ;)

Or sell them to puffer owners. ;)

Hell, i set up large breeding tanks for mine.(setting up a 40g soon for breeding pond snails).:icon_cool

·
Registered
81 Posts
I always liked pond snails and intentionally introduced them into my tank.....then I introduced Blyxa and it was a complete meltdown. Snails dominated the plant and I've been trying to rid the tank of them ever since.

Manual population control works, but it takes time and patience.

If you have the choice stick to MTS and Ramshorn.....they don't eat your delicate plants in my experience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I introduced pond snails from my 10G tank to my 20G for algae control, and they have clean up the beard algae superbly! I don't seem to have too many babies, as I believe the Endlers actually take care of the majority - the adults are left alone.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
\
I let them do their thing with out any means of control, to me it seems like the population will level off and go in cycles depending on algae growth or excessive food. I think they help keep my tank clean so I like them, therefore I vote to keep them. IMHO
Philip
Thats exactly how I feel as well,...... So my answer is keep em!

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Keep'em!
i have about 5 in my dwarf puffer tank.
Needless to say the DP's are all the population control they can handle!
the dp's can't eat the bigger ones though, so i keep those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.