The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a freshwater 2.5g planted nano tank that has been going for about 1.5 years. The last plants I added were put in about 2-3 months ago (and seemed snail free). All of a sudden about 2 weeks ago, I start seeing snails (pond snails I think). Before this, I haven't seen one in there for almost a year. I have been manually removing them everytime I can spot them. So far I have maybe taken out 20 or so over 3 weeks.

It seems too long ago since the introduction of plants for them to be left over from that. The only thing I noticed is that the snails seem to "appear" about a week or two after I put in a few tiny bits of algae tabs for my otos. I haven't used the algae tabs for a while until more recently and they are a cheap brand. Is it even possible that snails could be brought in on dried tablets? It seems to be the only thing that I can relate to seeing them. In the meantime I have stopped using the tablets to see if I can link the two.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The eggs hitchhiked in when you put your last plants in there 2-3 months ago, and they are just now either big enough or populated enough to be showing themselves to you during lights-on.

They aren't coming from your algae wafers, lol.

;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. Thanks for the reality check. :icon_redf

I guess I will continue to keep up my vigil of snail removal until the little suckers are wiped out. I may curtail getting any new plants for a while too :icon_cry:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.