The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My buddy and are starting a pond about 8'x 10' and about 2' deep. We've already dug out the hole, place liner in it and filled it up. Next week we're going to do some cementing and adding rocks around the tank. I would really like to include some floating plants or some type of ground cover like moss or possibly even hc(?) to make it look real natural. Any suggestions on pond plants?

·
Registered
352 Posts
In my pond, we have a tall spikey grass-like plant that grows like a weed and looks nice, and we have a bogbean plant that's very nice and lays across the surface of the water with very cute pink or white flowers in small clusters. Both survive Eastern Washington winters (down to -20F and several feet of snow) My family decided long ago that any plants we put in the garden had to be annuals and be able to survive the winter because we aren't going to put the effort into rebuying or replanting everything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreicate the assistance!

We're thinking about putting java moss on the rocks around the pond but looking at the Aquatic/Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia), I think we'll go with that plant. Anyone have any experience or a how to for aquatic jenny?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I appreicate the assistance!

We're thinking about putting java moss on the rocks around the pond but looking at the Aquatic/Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia), I think we'll go with that plant. Anyone have any experience or a how to for aquatic jenny?
Creeping Jenny is great! It can grow like a weed. It's a creeping plant so put it in places where it can crawl over & hide mechanical things or whatever.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You could also plant a couple jungle vals or dwarf sag on the bottom of the pond, as long as there is is substrate. It will spread and form a huge mat of plants in a couple months. Then you could just uproot some and sell them here!

Lilies might be a good idea too. I was going to suggest water lettuce, but then I saw you were located in California.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Creeping Jenny is great! It can grow like a weed. It's a creeping plant so put it in places where it can crawl over & hide mechanical things or whatever.
Exactly what we're going for!

You could also plant a couple jungle vals or dwarf sag on the bottom of the pond, as long as there is is substrate. It will spread and form a huge mat of plants in a couple months. Then you could just uproot some and sell them here!

Lilies might be a good idea too. I was going to suggest water lettuce, but then I saw you were located in California.
The only substrate that'll we'll have is an inch or so of gravel/rock just to cover up the black liner. I would love to find a plant where I can just stick it in the gravel and have it grow upwards.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could go for some kind of semi aquatic grass on the edges?
What do you have in mind? I was thinking HC since our lfs has it but again that's very similar to creeping jenny.

Keep the ideas coming folks! If it's available in the area or online, I might just pick it up. This is our first pond so I would love to make it look real natural! :proud:

·
Registered
330 Posts
You could do Mondo Grass. I've never grown it in the water but along the edges in moist soil would look good.

For in the water you can do dwarf cattail, or pink ribbon grass, yellow-eyed grass, I like the look of dwarf horsetail rush too. Dwarf Bamboo and Umbrella palms are really nice but I've never had experience with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.