The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for invertebrate advice for an outdoor California pond that has water temps bottom out at 50 F in the winter. I have a maximum 3 1/2 feet depth and about 2,750 gallons of water.

I am interested in increasing the biodiversity of my Koi and goldfish pond by adding other survivable critters. There are endless places for little things to hide and I'm hoping that a breeding population of creatures should be able to survive a little bit of Koi nibbling?

I'm hoping for recommendations on where to procure/buy/find/steal freshwater clams, crayfish, crabs, snails, SHRIMP, or any other interesting and self sustaining animal populations.

Any advice is greatly apprecieated!

·
Banned
4,111 Posts
Your local fish store should sometimes have these large reddish crayfish (uncertain about the scientific names). They're freshwater and they can most definately survive temperatures around that. Hopefully they'll survive the koi's . Frogs might survive as well. Feeder guppies maybe. Heads up on crayfish, they're curious and will nip at your fish's fin if they can, it is to be expected.

I'd advise you more but I'm a bit uncertain about the full consequences of buying stuff and releasing it in your backyard pond or wherever the pond is.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Please don't put anything out in a pond that could possibly be washed away into a local waterway. CA has a lot of endemic species of crayfish that could easily be wiped out by a competing critter or a disease that is not local to the population.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes, please be careful. Our waterways now are in trouble from too many non- native species.
wilma

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Most neocaridina species (cherry, snowball, yellow, wild type, blue pearl) are fine at those temps, not sure how much your kois and gold fish will snack on them though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most neocaridina species (cherry, snowball, yellow, wild type, blue pearl) are fine at those temps, not sure how much your kois and gold fish will snack on them though.
Thanks for the info everyone! Can you recommend an extra large shrimp species (it may be more able to avoid being eaten)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pond, ramhorn, and MTS should be fine at those temps also (MTS can survive damn near anything)
I'm afraid I don't know what type of animal you are referring to! I could not find reference to these at theshrimptank.com . Little help? Maybe a place to buy them? Thanks again guys. And I will be responsible with these animals. There are no local water ways or even drainage ditches for many miles from my home, and I certainly won't dump them.

·
Banned
4,111 Posts
I'm afraid I don't know what type of animal you are referring to! I could not find reference to these at theshrimptank.com . Little help? Maybe a place to buy them? Thanks again guys. And I will be responsible with these animals. There are no local water ways or even drainage ditches for many miles from my home, and I certainly won't dump them.
Do a search on here instead of over there. The animals he's referring to are snails.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I Have P. Alleni Aka Elec. Blue Crayfish. They Arnt Dwarfs. They Get Like 5in. If U Got Tons Of Bottom Hides They Will Be Fine. If Interested Pm Me

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
MTS are malaysian trumpet snails. They are livebearing, burrowing snails. They are really tough, and there shouldn't be problems with getting eaten (some of my fish try, they just spit them out). But I'm not surer if they could survive such cold temperatures.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
I think they would be fine in those temperatures. I had a bucket of substrate sitting outside all winter (arizona winter) and they were still alive in the spring. Some of the macro species like Red Claw Macros get large enough that they might not get eaten but I don't know how big the mouths are of your fish. They may bother the koi though and I have no idea if they can survive those lower temps.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have one crazy pond snail ( came as a hitchhiker) that my dd would not let me get rid of , it has laid sooooooooooo many eggs ,,, I could send them all your way if you want

·
Registered
9 Posts
i live in NC, but i can find clams, crayfish and snails sifting through local streams. crayfish are easy, but they will leave if they don't like your pond, the water conditions or breading conditions. clams live in any sandbar where the water moves a medium speed. too fast and it will carry away the clams. too slow and it will not bring them enough food. just get a colander and go sifting. snails are hard for me to find, but they are out there. invertebrates are hard to find near people because they are very sensitive to pollution. ideally, you want the critters that live and have lived in your local for centuries. you can only find them next door. local conditions won't kill them and they won't infest and destroy local waterways- starting with the one you call "mine".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.