The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Does anyone know what species of plant this is? It was sold as a pond/bog plant. After a lot of googling the nearest I've found is some kind of Echinodorus.

Also if possible, the species of water lilly?

Also could you advise if they will be ok in my pond/water feature the way I have it setup? I know that both are probably too big for it but I'm happy to keep them trimmed back. Both are in pots with aquatic soil. Will the leaves of the lilly wither and die if they are not in the water? Also do you think it would be possible keep a small group of guppies in there unfiltered if I have a lot of plants?

I'm in SE Asia (Hanoi, Vietnam) if that helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Lilies need at least 30cm of water over their crown, so that's a no go. Sword might be ok emersed like that.

With some work, I think guppies might be ok, although it depends on if you'd be willing to deal with a few issues.

Shallow water means more dramatic and faster temp changes- and to help control this, the placement of the water feature needs to be considered, and try to keep 2/3 of the water's surface covered with plants- normally a water lily would be a good choice, but with such shallow water, I'd suggest water hyacinth or water lettuce instead. Fish love to hide in their roots, and they're good at being nutrient sponges. In addition, covering more of the water's surface will help control algae and keep your pond looking nice.

Get a bundle or two of submerged plants as oxygenators- this is a good way to grow stem plants if you don't have the tank space.

And if you want to have a little fun, you can grow your own water spinach in your pond! You can grow from seed, or it might be easier to get some fresh from the store, trim the ends, and set in your pond. Hopefully it would root and start growing quickly.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
And if you want to have a little fun, you can grow your own water spinach in your pond! You can grow from seed, or it might be easier to get some fresh from the store, trim the ends, and set in your pond. Hopefully it would root and start growing quickly.
Water spinach is hella yummy, one of my favourites hahaha. Fry it with garlic, salted fish or sambal. Mmmmm...
I agree with Kehy, use some floating plants, like Water Lettuce. The sword will be fine. Stick some root tabs to fertilise it every now and then. I have a similar setup using a sword and water lettuce although a lot deeper, with guppies and they are fine. The constant breeding is a bit annoying so I would suggest going for only males. I made the mistake getting a mix, but the water volume is large enough to take the population, but I cull every now and then. I live in Malaysia, so also in SE Asia.

Sorry can't ID the plants though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.