The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a short vacation. When I looked at my 5 gallon shrimp/fish fry tank, I realized that one of my apple snails (pomacea bridgeii) was missing. There are hiding places in the tank, so I didn't think anything of it. When I went back an hour or two later and still couldn't find the missing snail, I began to worry about him/her... that's when I noticed a snail shell sitting beside the tank on the floor (the tank itself sits on the floor). I picked it up and realized that the hatch was tightly shut. Seeing this as a good sign, I put the snail back in the tank, where it is now happily doing clean-up duty for me again. I've heard of snails doing this but have had this kind of snail for more than a year now and have never experienced them getting out of the tank. Because I just got back from vacation, I have no idea how long the snail had been out of the tank. It could've been only a couple hours or up to a week. Either way, I'm amazed he's still alive!

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
good news! often they travel out when looking for places to lay eggs. Even single female snails that don't have fertilized eggs will travel to lay clutches above the water line.

Also, as an FYI, they are reclassified as Pomacea diffusa

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.